Dilemma! Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coolfishdent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a bit of a problem on my hands. So far I've gotten into both schools I've interviewed at (Tufts and BU) but these schools are my last two choices. I'm getting married this summer and my fiance works in NYC and owns his own place outside of the city. Plus, my whole family is from NY and NJ and I want to be in that area (and I'm sick of boston!). My issue is that my interview for Columbia is on 12/23 and my UMDNJ interview is on 1/20. I have to respond to Tufts and BU by the beginning of January. I don't want to loose the $ on the deposits to schools that it would be REALLY inconvient for me to go to but I also don't want to not sent in $ and then not get in anywhere else! How soon do you think I'd hear from Columbia after my interview? Is it worth the gamble?

Members don't see this ad.

Also... UMDNJ is my first choice and I did Gateway to Dentistry there this summer, which supposedly helps your chances...

If BU and Tufts were your only acceptances, would you go there or hold out another year? If you would attend one of them, then send the deposit and assure yourself a seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
why is tufts or bu your last choice?

put your money down and save your spot!! I'm doing the same and if something else comes up great if not....... you dont have to worry next year. Time is money!!

I would pass on Tufts and Bu and just wait for UMDNJ . I am sure with your stats your a sure fit.

Why waste $ when your stats can walk the talk ..

deposit on tufts as a backup, pass on BU, and go do your other interviews

My motto is "better safe than sorry"

eapleitez said:
My motto is "better safe than sorry"

I agree... put a deposit down at one school just in case and then just hope you get into UMDNJ or Columbia. The deposit isn't usually too much... relative to an entire dental education... are you really going to notice if your education costs 216K instead of 215K?

Columbia reviews their applicants the friday after they interview them. Basically, if you interview there, they'd know on 12/30 (assuming they work that day) whether or not they want you. Well.. that's what they did before Dec. 1st so I'd assume it's still the same. I'm guessing they send the letter soon thereafter since they don't have to wait for a certain date to send acceptances the way they had to wait for Dec. 1st.

hi,
find out the policy on losing your deposit. at one of my interviews they said you can put money down and still get it back before april 1st. then decide if you are going to dental school this year if you only get into tufts and bu. depending on that make a decision, either decline both or accept one and rock your columbia and umdnj interviews!

also, i work at columbia, the school is closed all of christmas week (except wednesday and i am sure like me most are taking that day off). so don't be fretting if you don't hear a response from columbia before 2006!

good luck good luck good luck!!!!!!

:)

I'm getting the impression from a lot of people on SDN that BU is not such a great school. I say that because many here are using it as a backup or passing their acceptances altogether. Currently, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should attend...is it not good or something? And for those who say to pass BU, is there a specific reason? I had a good experience there during my interview, I don't know why people don't like it....

DUBS said:
I'm getting the impression from a lot of people on SDN that BU is not such a great school. I say that because many here are using it as a backup or passing their acceptances altogether. Currently, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should attend...is it not good or something? And for those who say to pass BU, is there a specific reason? I had a good experience there during my interview, I don't know why people don't like it....
do what feels right

I personally didn't like BU but I think I had a bad experiance there. My tour guide was an idiot and she had no clue what she was talking about. She also gave me a negative impression of how the students get along with each other. I thought the facilities were a bit shabby compared to Tufts but it was mostly that the people I ran into didn't seem very happy. However, one of my friends loved BU when she was there and had a totally different experiance. I loved Tufts, still do, I just can't see going to a Boston school working out for me right now.... I think I might have to gamble it... it just isn't feasible... I'm getting an ulcer.... :scared: