Dilemma- Post dec 2nd interview w/ acceptance already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvalente

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow pre-dents,

I applied kind of late in the cycle but managed to get an interview (and subsequent acceptance) from Rutgers on Dec 2. Today I received an interview request from UB for Jan. 16.

It is really annoying how this is all set up. UB, being my state school and close in proximity to my hometown, has always been my number one school. I plan on going to the interview. However, Rutgers needs a whopping $1500 deposit by Jan 6 to secure my seat.
Rather than gamble my sure spot, is my only choice to pay the deposit at Rutgers and then see how UB pans out? I am sure many of other are in this situation- how did you proceed?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Yep - you will have to pony up and pay the $1500 deposit. Unfortunately, I highly doubt Rutgers (or any school) would push back the deposit deadline for you. It is insane how much some schools charge for their deposits.

I applied kind of late in the cycle but managed to get an interview (and subsequent acceptance) from Rutgers on Dec 2. Today I received an interview request from UB for Jan. 16.

It is really annoying how this is all set up. UB, being my state school and close in proximity to my hometown, has always been my number one school. I plan on going to the interview. However, Rutgers needs a whopping $1500 deposit by Jan 6 to secure my seat.
Rather than gamble my sure spot, is my only choice to pay the deposit at Rutgers and then see how UB pans out? I am sure many of other are in this situation- how did you proceed?

Thanks,

I'm in a similar situation, but yes, pay the deposit and then go to the interview. Worst case scenario, you don't get into UB and you would've had to pay the $1500 anyway. Best case scenario, you get into UB and you decide to go there (thereby saving thousands of $ in the long run) and the lost $1500 doesn't look so bad in comparison

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you could try to push up your interview with UB, but 20 days--especially in the midst of the holidays--almost certainly isn't enough time for them to interview you and make a decision.

$1500 sucks, I agree. It's odd how much of a cost range there is in deposit amounts. However, in 4 years, you won't even be thinking about it if you end up going to UB. State schools are much, much cheaper.

Haven't received any acceptances yet so I'm unsure, but are the deposits refundable?

If not, why aren't they?? I get it that schools want to make money, but it seems so wrong the way everything is set up, including that no acceptances before Dec. 1 rule.

Back to OP's original question: Looks like you will unfortunately have to put down the deposit.

Haven't received any acceptances yet so I'm unsure, but are the deposits refundable?

If not, why aren't they?? I get it that schools want to make money, but it seems so wrong the way everything is set up, including that no acceptances before Dec. 1 rule.

Back to OP's original question: Looks like you will unfortunately have to put down the deposit.
Non refundable. I don't know why. I also think they should be. Like perhaps refundable within 20-30 days? That kinda deal.

To OP, put your deposit down, attend the interview and don't regret it. If you get into your state school, $1500 will be a drop in the bucket with the money you save down the road with in state tuition.

$1,500...do the schools that do this have high turnover on acceptances or something?

There are a few that will refund portions of it back. For Midwestern-AZ I saw you can get $100 back from the $1000 deposit as long as you request it before 30 days before their 1st semester starts.

I saw somewhere (not sure if from a school or if from ADEA) that the philosophy behind the deposit is to make sure the school doesn't lose as much money in the rare instance that you leave your spot right before school starts and then they are unable to fill it. The ~1K deposit is sort of a pittance compared to the 150K-300K they would have got from you had you attended for 4 years. But with the abundance of names on waitlists every year I don't see this as a problem for the foreseeable future.

The extremely high deposit amounts make it easier for admissions to forecast how many more acceptances they will give out. I'm sure the retention rate from those who put a deposit down at school X that go onto attend school X is very high. The only instance I could see someone putting down more than 1 deposit would be if they are awaiting word on military scholarship (they got into state school but would like to attend a private with military scholarship).

I think the reason why people have a hard time with this all is because it is very scary to lock yourself into a 4 year commitment that only starts 7-9 months from now. We are afraid our aspirations, opinions, priorities, and/or relationship statuses will change and we will regret our choice.

Reactions: 1 users
$1,500...do the schools that do this have high turnover on acceptances or something?

that's how much umich bleeds us for. have no idea what their turnover rate is though.

$1500... Omg. That's insane. I did not even know these deposits were so high. Marquette's was hardly anything then, in comparison looking at Rutgers and NYU

I'm in a very similar situation. I have an acceptance for NYU and an interview with UoP next month. Unfortunate as it may be, put down deposit and hope you get into UB. I know it sucks, trust me earning 1500 on minimum wage just to throw it away burns but it is well worth it. You absolutely CANNOT go out on a limb for UB. Best of luck

Thanks,

That's just the way it goes sometimes. Dental admissions, and dental school for that matter, cost a pretty penny. Gotta accept it.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Columbia has a $2000 deposit due Jan 2 and another $1000 due in April. That **** is expensive.