Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delaram

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what i should do during this cycle. i've already applied and my file is complete and under review at most schools. my gpa is low 2.95 sci and 3.1 overall, my dat is 20/20/17. i haven't received any interview invites.

i don't know if i should retake the dat in november, because i'm scared i might score lower...if i DO score lower, will the schools find out? if i don't ever tell them i retook the dat, could they still find out through the ADA? i know i have to pick 5 schools so the ADA can send the scores to them, but what about the additional schools i applied to???

i'm so confused and scared.... :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

delaram said:
I don't know what i should do during this cycle. i've already applied and my file is complete and under review at most schools. my gpa is low 2.95 sci and 3.1 overall, my dat is 20/20/17. i haven't received any interview invites.

i don't know if i should retake the dat in november, because i'm scared i might score lower...if i DO score lower, will the schools find out? if i don't ever tell them i retook the dat, could they still find out through the ADA? i know i have to pick 5 schools so the ADA can send the scores to them, but what about the additional schools i applied to???

You also seem like a really sneaky person who would do anything to get ahead. Maybe you should try law. :rolleyes:

delaram said:

Thats kind of harsh Audio, were all nervous about getting in and would like to improve our self as a candidate, but don't want to make things worse... I would just ride it out if I were you.. your DAT score is good, gpa could be higher, unless you got a killer score on the dat 23+ I dont think it would make that much of a difference...

Members don't see this ad :)
Audio said:
You also seem like a really sneaky person who would do anything to get ahead. Maybe you should try law. :rolleyes:

i guess i am sneaky sometimes...but all of us are to some extend. and no, law is just too boring to me...and i'm not nearly as sneaky as all the law school kids out there

delaram said:
i guess i am sneaky sometimes...but all of us are to some extend. and no, law is just too boring to me...and i'm not nearly as sneaky as all the law school kids out there

I don't think the problem with your app. is your DAT. Of course, if you get 25s it would help you but your GPA needs to come up. Get everything up above a 3.0. That should help you alot.

since we're on the topic of being sneaky, I was just wondering. If you retake the DAT and have the ADA send the score to 5 schools that you haven't applied to, then if you score well, request ADA afterwards to send the scores in to the schools you want them to be sent to

Bad news, buddy. It's not your DAT that's keeping you down. Those grades are terrible and a good percentage of schools probably aren't even looking at you application because of that.

I'm not saying this to be mean; sometimes we just need to hear the truth straight up. Go ahead and do everything you can to get in this time around, but plan on taking post-bacc classes or enrolling in a Master's program. If you really want to do dentistry that extra year or two of school spent boosting your GPA will be time well spent.

I hope I haven't offended you; I really am just trying to help. Good luck.

delaram said:

I think you should get some interview invites. Your DAT grades are solid. Just relax and wait for invites. I would also apply to a lot of private schools, like NYU and Boston University because they tend to accept more people each year. Keep your head up and enjoy yourself. I'm sure you will have a spot somewhere.

Take care,
Rich

Richnator said:
I think you should get some interview invites. Your DAT grades are solid. Just relax and wait for invites. I would also apply to a lot of private schools, like NYU and Boston University because they tend to accept more people each year. Keep your head up and enjoy yourself. I'm sure you will have a spot somewhere.

Take care,
Rich

yeah, i applied to alot of private schools including bu and nyu...thanks for all the encouragement.

12YearOldKid said:
Bad news, buddy. It's not your DAT that's keeping you down. Those grades are terrible and a good percentage of schools probably aren't even looking at you application because of that.

I'm not saying this to be mean; sometimes we just need to hear the truth straight up. Go ahead and do everything you can to get in this time around, but plan on taking post-bacc classes or enrolling in a Master's program. If you really want to do dentistry that extra year or two of school spent boosting your GPA will be time well spent.

I hope I haven't offended you; I really am just trying to help. Good luck.

i've already gone through a Masters program. your GPA doesn't boost by much. =(