Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick_pkg

Vascular Surgery
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to go unmatched or rank a place which one didnt like at the bottom and get matched there?

If unmatched, being an IMG, that kills the chances of surgery (am not applying for prelim because of the visa problems it brings)

Members don't see this ad.

Would you rather train at a place you don't like or not train at all? Categorical GS is tough especially for FMGs. If you have a chance now, I wouldn't give it up.

IMHO it depends on why you didn't like the program and what you can live with.

Would you rather take your chances of not matching at all and sitting out a year (because we're assuming that there will be no categorical positions open in the scramble)?

If the program was so unpleasant that you absolutely could not imagine yourself working there (and note I did not say "be happy" there because that may be unrealistic in any residency! ;) ), then not ranking it may be a good idea. But it would have to be pretty awful if it means giving up a year or your dreams.

hmmm well its bronx-lebanon hospital in NY that i am debating whether to rank last or not to rank. mainly its the reputation of the place and that everyone says that they take only IMGs who have already done their residencies in other countries so they dont require teaching. At the interview, I was asked questions like you haven't done any prior residency, how do you think you can do surgery etc. Hospital also didnt seem very good.