Dilemma

Started by mjjdm1985
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mjjdm1985

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My MCAT score from 4/17 came out today and I got a 27. I really was wanting a 30+ to feel secure about getting into one of the several medical schools that I feel would be the best fit for me.

Now I feel like I have two options:

1) I could apply.

If I do this I am pretty sure that I will get accepted somewhere in state. It will not be a "sure thing," though, and if I do get accepted I probably will not get a great choice between schools because I wouldn't get accepted to more than one or two.

I would probably retake my MCAT in July. I bet I could make a 30 by that time but who knows. If I didn't break thirty again then I would have two sub-30 MCATS on my record which would make the first one seem like less of a fluke.

2) I could wait until next year to apply.

If I do this I would probably retake my MCAT in August. With about 2.5 months of real studying I am pretty confident I could make at least a 33. That's just a hunch but I normally am a good test-taker and my studying for the first test got interrupted by hugely distracting family issues that are over.

If I wait until next year I will have a year of research under my belt which would make the letter of rec I'm getting from that professor even better. I would be able to take a few more upper level science courses to improve my science GPA and prove to medical schools even more that I have what it takes. I feel like I would be able to improve my app in several areas and really solidify it (but I do think that it is already good enough to be accepted somewhere).

I also am working as an accountant and if I wait an extra year that's another good chunk of money in the bank to pay for medical school.

---------

So...I'm leaning toward waiting and probably having more medical school options. Do you other non-trads think this would be a good idea? If I applied this year and didn't get in would it hurt my chances in the future? And if I decided not to apply to certain schools but did apply to those next year would they be able to see that?

Thanks!