Dilemna

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbhooks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing my intern (PGY-1) at a community based OB/Gyn residency program and although I enjoy the specialty, I am not satisfied with my residency program for several reasons:

1. Lack of teaching and didactics
2. Lack of professionalism between fellow residents and attendings
3. Emphasis on service over learning (we do 7 months of OB per year!)
4. Lack of gyn numbers
5. Lack of placement in fellowships
6. Decrease in number of attendings/faculty

I would like to switch to a different program and spoke to my PD about the issue (but did not mention that I wanted to leave because of issues I have with the program) and he agreed to write me a letter of recommendation (LOR) however it was not 100% positive because he does not want me to leave. I think that this letter sabotaged my chances of getting a PGY-2 spot elsewhere, and I afraid now that I am stuck here unless I leave the program or stay and do the match during the year. I am considering leaving the program and doing the match this year in a different medical speciality such as medicine or EM.

Should I remain here and be miserable or should I take my chances and apply for the match? My Step 1 and 2 scores were okay (high 80s/low 90s). Do I have a shot?

I appreciate any advice.

babydoc07

Members don't see this ad.

My first (and most important) question would be whether it's your program or OB/Gyn that is making you miserable. If you still love OB but hate your program, leave if you can.

I say that from experience. I could have practically written your letter each of the past 4 years. I had many of the same issues with my program, but could not leave because I could not relocate my family yet again. I s'cked it up (as we say), did not leave, and just graduated last week. Yes, I'm thrilled to be done, but am still disappointed that I did not have a better learning environment or training.

You should be haunting the ACOG website. There are dozens of PGY-2 spots open. Have you actually applied for any of them? One of my fellow residents left in the fall of our 2nd year. I'm sure her letter wasn't stellar, and they had tried for 8 months to talk her out of quitting. She found another PGY-2 spot, and is now getting ready to start an REI fellowship.

Don't change specialities and go through the match unless you are sure that you do not want to do OB/Gyn anymore. Once you leave it would be even more difficult to return.

Best of luck in this difficult decision. PM me if I can help further...

I would definitely go with the CREOG Clearinghouse. There are about 20 PGY-2 spots on there, some have been on for months, meaning those programs are starting to get desperate! They want someone to start in 1-2 weeks, and you could definitely snatch up a spot. If you don't know the website address, just type in CREOG Clearinghouse on google. It'll come right up.

good luck.

Personally I would try and stay at your program and do some talking to find out how to rectify the situation. Perhaps doing a research project or away rotation is a possibility. Also do the PGY3/4's feel this way it is not uncommon to feel this way after intern yr.

Just my 2 cents
Feel free to contact me personally
Diane