Dillema, recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nyphool

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was so caught up with work, the mcats and other things that i totally neglected the recommendations. I was planning on applying to med school this year pending a decent mcat score. I understand that most schools offer a premed committee letter. My undergraduate institution is nyu. I basically missed the deadlines for the committee letter. Im not sure what else i can do now. I hear that med schools require the committee letter. Is it possible for me to apply this year? How else can i handle the recommendations? Man i messed up.

Members don't see this ad.

Nyphool said:
I was so caught up with work, the mcats and other things that i totally neglected the recommendations. I was planning on applying to med school this year pending a decent mcat score. I understand that most schools offer a premed committee letter. My undergraduate institution is nyu. I basically missed the deadlines for the committee letter. Im not sure what else i can do now. I hear that med schools require the committee letter. Is it possible for me to apply this year? How else can i handle the recommendations? Man i messed up.

It's totally possible. I know that some schools REQURE a committee letter if you have one, but others allow you to send in two science letters and one non-science letter. Just contact the schools and find out if they accept the individual letters. If so, then you need to email your professors ASAP, set up a time to meet with them, ask them to write your letter, etc and then keep following up. You dont need your reqs until you get secondaries, so if they write them within the next two months (plenty of time) you'll be fine. If your school has a letter of recommendation service that holds your letters for you, then get that started so the professors know where to sent your letters... Good luck! and dont stress out.

I think you should also try to go back to your committee to see if they will still write it for you. First call, then try e-mail, and as a last resort write a formal letter to the committee chair. At my undergrad I missed the deadline as well, but they still wrote one for me. The catch was they would get around to it after they wrote all the letters for those that submitted on time.

It's worth a shot. It would be a shame if the only thing holding you back from applying was a committee letter.

Scoop19 said:
At my undergrad I missed the deadline as well, but they still wrote one for me. The catch was they would get around to it after they wrote all the letters for those that submitted on time.

That was the same deal at my school. If you missed the deadline, you could still get a letter, but you got shoved to the back of the line and were forced to pay a fee.

You should have plenty of time though. It was about this same time last year, after waiting for my final grades, that I approached my professors for LORs. So no worries, the process is only beginning.