Dilution Titration formula M1V1 = M2V2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whawha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always get this confused. When using this equation,

M1V1 = M2V2,

Those subscript 2 indicate the amount and molarity of the final solution? Or the amount of molarity of the solution being added?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I always get this confused. When using this equation,

M1V1 = M2V2,

Those subscript 2 indicate the amount and molarity of the final solution? Or the amount of molarity of the solution being added?

Thanks!
To avoid confusions use:

MiVi = MfVf

i = initial molarity/volume of the solution
f = final molarity/volume of the solution

To avoid confusions use:

MiVi = MfVf

i = initial molarity/volume of the solution
f = final molarity/volume of the solution

The OP's asking about titration I believe, so initial/final does not apply here.

I think in titration, you start with some acid (or base) and add base (or acid). So you're constantly adding more H+ or OH- s. But yea basically Normality*volume would be the number of moles of H+ or OH- in the acid/base. So if you start with a base, and you want to see what volume of an acid you need to get to the neutral point, you need to add an equal moles of H+ as there # of moles of OH- in solution. So you would have N(base)V(base)=N(acid)V(acid).

This is not the only time you'd use this equation of course.

What Nze mentioned can be used when you have some solution (maybe like 1 M) and you wanna know how much water you should add to make it like 0.1M. Then since you're not changing the number of solute moles, you'd have moles = MiVi= MfVf.

Thank you so much to both of you for replying. Btw, what is OP? loll

So, to sum up, basically

For dilution, we use MiVi = MfVf
For titration, we use M1V1 = M2V2

Right?