Diminishing returns on secondary submissions? mid-august vs late august?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis_bioinform

Reaction score
I know LizzyM's Labor Day rule, but do chances of getting an II start dropping the closer to Labor Day it gets? Or do chances only start dropping after Labor Day? I'm a numbers person, so I guess im wondering what the statistics say about this? i.e does mid-august vs late-august make a difference?

Its 8/15 and I still have tons of secondaries to go, but I'm taking my time because I'm trying to craft strong responses. At what point should I start cranking them out for the sake of timeliness?
(I've also heard stories of people submitted secondaries riddled with terrible mistakes - like wrong school names & repeated sentences - and still getting IIs there!! are secondaries not as important as I think they are?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Its 8/15 and I still have tons of secondaries to go, but I'm taking my time because I'm trying to craft strong responses. At what point should I start cranking them out for the sake of timeliness?
Despite what you have heard, the odds go up that the faster that you try to get the apps out, the worse they will be.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Just get it done. I don't know which schools you applied to, but every committee is not at the exact same point to compare. I would get going because interview season is upon you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At what point should I start cranking them out for the sake of timeliness?
I would probably only recommend this if they have a hard limit of two weeks or something like that, and you're about to miss it tbh.

At this point in the cycle, most schools, I would estimate, have queued for interview fewer than 10% of those who will get interview invitations. So, if a school is going to interview 500 out of a pool of 6,000 to make 200 offers to fill 100 seats, and they've already selected 50 of those who will be interviewed , you are competing with 5,949 others for one of 450 interview slots left. How bad is that compared with competing with 5,999 others for one of 500 interview invites?

Reactions: 1 users
I know LizzyM's Labor Day rule, but do chances of getting an II start dropping the closer to Labor Day it gets? Or do chances only start dropping after Labor Day? I'm a numbers person, so I guess im wondering what the statistics say about this? i.e does mid-august vs late-august make a difference?

(I've also heard stories of people submitted secondaries riddled with terrible mistakes - like wrong school names & repeated sentences - and still getting IIs there!! are secondaries not as important as I think they are?)
You have to submit your secondaries to be eligible for interviews. I am sure by now you have noticed common themes in the essay questions so you don't have to craft a new essay completely but can adapt ones you have written to fit the word count.

Reactions: 2 users