Dire Need Of Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ivy league , graduating in May, 3.11 science gpa, 3.40 overall, 28S MCAT August 2003...im confused, and need some advice...i applied to about 25 schools this year, 1 MD interview thus far, 1 DO acceptance, 1 DO waitlist, and the rest are either rejections or holds (on hold at about 5 schools, ie finch, loyola, drexel, temple). I dont know what to do, i know both my mcats and gpa are not stellar...ive applied to the G'Town SMP, but the more i think about it, the less i want to add another 30,000 dollars to my debt situation. I can take the MCAT in August for 180 bucks, aim for above a 30, and apply again this June, but will this have changed anything?? Or perhaps I applied too late?? Im a NY resident and didnt event receive any interview offers from any of my state schools. My apps were complete around the end of October, due to the MCAT and school reccs. Can i just apply earlier this time around and expect an interview?? Or is my gpa simply holding me back? G'Town? HELP!!!!!!!!!!! please

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you apply to DO schools if you were not willing to attend? I have heard from my Pre-med adviser that when people say "I got into a DO school last year but not any MD schools that my states adcomm responds with "Why aren't they in medical school then?"

Your MCATs and GPA are both slightly sub-par. Enhancing either one of them would get you some acceptances. Your GPA is almost exactly like jlee's, but he has a 31 and has a bunch of acceptances. If you retake the MCAT this August, score around 32 and do GT SMP, you will definitely get in. Either way, I think you need to get your MCAT above 30. If you want the cost-effective path (GT SMP will cost you 23,400 plus living expenses ~15k), take some post-bac classes at some JC or state college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would aim to get the MCAT up and improve your GPA a bit. I agree with the other poster that you'll probably get in somewhere if one of them is subpar. In my case my MCAT was not that great--29R. But my GPA was very high. So I think that's what got me in. If I were in your place I would study hard for the August MCAT, retake in August aiming for a 30+. If $ is an issue I would spend the next year re-applying, working, and doing some science, maybe even graduate level classes as a non-classified student, at a state school to bring up the GPA. If $ is not a huge issue go for the Georgetown program because it seems to do good things for a lot of people. And apply early. I know that helped me a lot too. Good luck.

Originally posted by Columbia22
Ivy league , graduating in May, 3.11 science gpa, 3.40 overall, 28S MCAT August 2003...im confused, and need some advice...i applied to about 25 schools this year, 1 MD interview thus far, 1 DO acceptance, 1 DO waitlist, and the rest are either rejections or holds (on hold at about 5 schools, ie finch, loyola, drexel, temple). I dont know what to do, i know both my mcats and gpa are not stellar...ive applied to the G'Town SMP, but the more i think about it, the less i want to add another 30,000 dollars to my debt situation. I can take the MCAT in August for 180 bucks, aim for above a 30, and apply again this June, but will this have changed anything?? Or perhaps I applied too late?? Im a NY resident and didnt event receive any interview offers from any of my state schools. My apps were complete around the end of October, due to the MCAT and school reccs. Can i just apply earlier this time around and expect an interview?? Or is my gpa simply holding me back? G'Town? HELP!!!!!!!!!!! please

You just said you had an acceptance to a DO school... why are you in "dire need for help?" There are thousands out there that would die for your spot. If you wanted to be an MD, just apply MD, but don't leave that DO acceptance sitting around. Just my 2 cents.