Direct Access

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperKirby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"From a practice perspective, physical therapy educators say the move to the DPT also is necessary because the majority of states now allow patients to go directly to a physical therapist for a few initial visits without seeing a physician first to get a referral." - Columbia University

I did not know this. What states allow direct access? Most states?!?

Members don't see this ad.

"From a practice perspective, physical therapy educators say the move to the DPT also is necessary because the majority of states now allow patients to go directly to a physical therapist for a few initial visits without seeing a physician first to get a referral." - Columbia University

I did not know this. What states allow direct access? Most states?!?

I believe the number is at 37 but that may be low. Remember that is the state practice acts, not what most insurances will pay for. So in practice it doesn't happen as often as we would like. It does happen, there are two small insurors where I work that pay for direct access but it is NOT even a small minority, it is rare. Hopefully that will change when they see that costs are down without an increase in missed diagnoses.

I believe the number is at 37 but that may be low. Remember that is the state practice acts, not what most insurances will pay for. So in practice it doesn't happen as often as we would like. It does happen, there are two small insurors where I work that pay for direct access but it is NOT even a small minority, it is rare. Hopefully that will change when they see that costs are down without an increase in missed diagnoses.

great thanks. So a personal injury lawyer could refer their clients to a PT in one of those states? how would that work? The clients would most likely refuse because their insurance wont cover that PT, or does it go thru some lawyer personal injury insurance?

does anyone have that list of states?

Members don't see this ad :)
great thanks. So a personal injury lawyer could refer their clients to a PT in one of those states? how would that work? The clients would most likely refuse because their insurance wont cover that PT, or does it go thru some lawyer personal injury insurance?

does anyone have that list of states?

APTA website has the list and the specific language for each practice act.

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=43482