Step I Direct inguinal hernia

Started by Lothric
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lothric

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

FA says that hernias are protrusions of peritoneum through an opening.

However, in a direct inguinal hernia there is no opening though, or am I wrong on this? Abdominal contents just protrude directly through the abdominal wall (parietal peritoneum), so there is no opening.

I can however understand that definition for indirect inguinal hernias, where the opening would be the deep inguinal ring.

Somebody please explain!
 
For an indirect hernia, the abdominal contents protrude through a muscular defect or weakness in the floor of the inguinal canal. (Source is Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics 20th Edition (2015). (See attached images). Direct Inguinal Hernia.png Direct vs Indirect.jpg