Direct Med Programs

ibcdude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interested in knowing about the direct med programs in the US, is there a list of the official schools that offer it directly out of high school?
ALso how competitive are these programs vs a regular 4 yr med program and the pros and cons of the two options? What would you prefer?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if there's a list of all the available programs, but I go to a school that has just started a program like this. As far as the competetiveness of the program, here are the requirements (to my best knowledge):
To get in you must have a 3.8 unweighted HS GPA and at least a 1300 or 1400 on SAT

To stay in you must maintain a 3.6 in freshman year, 3.7 in soph year, and 3.8 in junior year. You must also maintain clinical volunteering through these 3 years. Once you meet these requrements, you spend your 4th year at USF COM and earn dual credits for BS and MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
These programs are highly competitive. For starters, you absolutely must have some medical experience (i.e., shadowing a physician, hospital volunteering, etc.). If you can't list something in this arena, your application will probably rejected almost immediately.

I would say the advantage for me is that I do not have to stress about taking the MCATs. Also, I only have to maintain a 3.3 to remain in the program, and can major in whatever I want. This kind of security is a nice contrast to my traditional pre-med friends who have to take the MCATs and stress over keeping a 4.0 (not that I slack because of the GPA req haha).

Last edited by a moderator: