"direct" med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tomedschool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a list of the master's programs that provide seats for med school? I heard of BU, georgetown, loyola & rosalind franklin. anyone know the other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Tomedschool said:
I was wondering if anyone has a list of the master's programs that provide seats for med school? I heard of BU, georgetown, loyola & rosalind franklin. anyone know the other schools?

None of those "provide" X number of seats for their respective medical school. They accept a number each year, but it's not guaranteed at any of them.

The closest to guaranteed is the Rosalind Franklin program, which takes almost everybody that makes a 3.0. However, I've heard they're changing that for next year. Georgetown usually takes about 25/150. EVMS has a small program, but I think 12/15 got in last year. I don't know about BU or Loyola.

what's the website to the rosalind franklin program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that Meharry has one that's similar to Rosalind Franklin's.

ayznshorti - do you know where I can find that on meharry's site? I dont see any reference to it.

hey..yeah im actually in meharrys post bacc class. they only let in students who have applied to the med school, so theres no direct application for it. essentially (i wont deny it) we are the last pick of the litter. after all the seats are filled for the 1st years they look through the rest and choose the post bacc class. class sizes have varied over the years but theres about 25 kids in our class. let me know if u have any more questions.

I'm super glad that you posted the response to that because I wasn't sure how it worked, I just knew that the program existed.

pballa24 said:
hey..yeah im actually in meharrys post bacc class. they only let in students who have applied to the med school, so theres no direct application for it. essentially (i wont deny it) we are the last pick of the litter. after all the seats are filled for the 1st years they look through the rest and choose the post bacc class. class sizes have varied over the years but theres about 25 kids in our class. let me know if u have any more questions.

Out of a class of 25, usually how many get into the med school the next year?

Where is Meharry?

caldoc44 said:

Where is Meharry?

Nashville, oos tuition is $26000
their stats are kind of nice: gpa 3.15 sci 2.93 mcat 25

madonna said:
Nashville, oos tuition is $26000
their stats are kind of nice: gpa 3.15 sci 2.93 mcat 25
What are those stats for? The post bac? The school?

caldoc44 said:

Where is Meharry?
From what I was told, they reserve 25 spots in the following year's M1 class for those students in the post-bac. They have to maintain a certain GPA and receive a certain MCAT score in order to keep that spot. BUT, pballa24 knows a LOT more about it than I do, because I just heard about it last week. He's actually in the program. I'd PM him for more accurate answers.

ayznshorti said:
From what I was told, they reserve 25 spots in the following year's M1 class for those students in the post-bac. They have to maintain a certain GPA and receive a certain MCAT score in order to keep that spot. BUT, pballa24 knows a LOT more about it than I do, because I just heard about it last week. He's actually in the program. I'd PM him for more accurate answers.

hey whays up guys, everyone is pretty much right. they do reserve 25 spots (although theres not always 25 that make it). u have to keep a 3.3 in classes for the two semesters, with nothing less than a B in any given class and we also have to retake the mcat. so they provide princeton review classes for both semesters. u have to get a 24 overall, with no subsection less than an 8. im here to tell u these requirements are chump change. there is ample time to study for both the classes and the mcat. which is definitely a good thing. the hard part is finding yourself a seat in the class initially. there are a few people in my class (including myself) who did slightly better on the mcat, but we still have to take it over.

so stats arent too bad, but as everyone was discussing sooo many people apply to meharry, its hard as hell to get a place. be persistent!

yes meharry is in nashville...which is growing tremendously (coming from someone whos from nashville) in a good way...lotsa money comin to town.

tuition minus room/board is $18.5k, and i hear tale of them providing a stipend for the next class.

if u have any more questions, dont hesistate to ask.

I'm at EVMS and it really rocks. Last year out of 18 students 14 got in. The school is small, about 400 enrolled students, and you get a ton of attention from the faculty. Do well in the program and you get in...girl's panties....i mean medical school :laugh:

Tooth

ayznshorti said:
What are those stats for? The post bac? The school?

the msar stats for the medschool. i should have applied :idea:

miraj112 said:
what's the website to the rosalind franklin program?

The Rosalind Franklin postbac program, the masters in applied physiology, isnt being offfered anymore (as of this year) I just talked to them yestereday...

pballa24 said:
hey whays up guys, everyone is pretty much right. they do reserve 25 spots (although theres not always 25 that make it). u have to keep a 3.3 in classes for the two semesters, with nothing less than a B in any given class and we also have to retake the mcat. so they provide princeton review classes for both semesters. u have to get a 24 overall, with no subsection less than an 8. im here to tell u these requirements are chump change. there is ample time to study for both the classes and the mcat. which is definitely a good thing. the hard part is finding yourself a seat in the class initially. there are a few people in my class (including myself) who did slightly better on the mcat, but we still have to take it over.

so stats arent too bad, but as everyone was discussing sooo many people apply to meharry, its hard as hell to get a place. be persistent!

yes meharry is in nashville...which is growing tremendously (coming from someone whos from nashville) in a good way...lotsa money comin to town.

tuition minus room/board is $18.5k, and i hear tale of them providing a stipend for the next class.

if u have any more questions, dont hesistate to ask.

Do you have a link to the program website?

NRAI2001 said:
Do you have a link to the program website?
Knowing that it's meharry, I somehow doubt that it has a website. But I think pballa said that you have to apply to Meharry's Medical College in order to be accepted into the program, so it's not like a separate thing.

ayznshorti said:
Knowing that it's meharry, I somehow doubt that it has a website. But I think pballa said that you have to apply to Meharry's Medical College in order to be accepted into the program, so it's not like a separate thing.

correct..and if you've ever tried to find out anything on meharry's site, I think you know the answer..no, there is no website for the program. u might be able to call and ask about it, especially if u get an interview there for med school.

:) bump
reviving an old thread...Just wanted to know if anyone can share their experience with the post bacc at Meharry.
Thanks

Hello. KU Med has a direct to med school post-bacc. program. I was just accepted for this year's post-bacc. class and am excited to start. They only accepted 10 this year out of roughly 40 applicants who interviewed for the regular decision. The only requirement to successfully complete the program and be admitted into the Fall 2008 class is to maintain a 3.0 GPA. My letter did not mention retaking the MCAT at all, but I plan on calling Monday morning for more details. I know they required a MCAT retest last year, but maybe/hopefully that was eliminated.