Dirty Money...

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by nima123, Dec 7, 2008.

1. nima123

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know good docs should not even consider income when choosing a specialty and it's all about what you like and stuff...I truly do believe in this, but even after some soul searching and looking into professional and personal satisfaction in each specialty, I was left with too many options and decided to look at how much money one makes in these fields.

However, I'm getting different numbers from different sources (Allied Physicians v.s. Merritt Hawkins v.s. AMA Careers website) in terms of average incomes in each specialty. I was just wondering, if you people have looked at these numbers, which ones are closer to reality based what you've seen?

Thanks ;)

2. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    ama

3. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, I am not sure, but from what I have seen when I looked at Merritt Hawkins, it seems inflated.

4. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You should absolutely consider income in the quest to find the perfect specialty. It shouldn't be the first consideration, but it also shuldn't be the last. So you like Peds? Oh, but you've got $200K in loans? huh... Maybe general peds isn't too practical then... Anyway, this point has been made elsewhere, but I think it's important not to lose sight of the fact that you've got lots of loans, no assets, and you'll be starting to save for retirement many years after your peers, and maybe part of the equation of career satisfaction is not going to work every day knowing you're struggling to survive.