Please note I am posting this here instead of the pre-med forum because I would prefer answers from residents and MDs.
I am in the process of applying to medical school and have a disability. I am trying to ascertain whether I should let this disability dissuade me from going into medicine. My disability is not physical, I can do everything a non-disabled individual can- except that, I suffer from extreme fatigue, a side effect of medication I have to take for my condition. This is not something I can change by trying a different treatment (I've already done that) , so I would prefer to avoid any replies suggesting I try to get better treatment. I'm also committed to medicine, so I am not interested in trying another field.
In order to get through medical school and residency, I would likely be requesting an accommodation consisting of a reduced course load (maybe one class less per term), while in medical school. I would also be requesting reduced hours during residency (likely around 35 per week). In my chosen specialty, psychiatry, the average residency work week is 45 hours...so I would not be working that much less than full time.
I am trying to find out whether there are any other people who in medical school ended up taking a slightly reduced course load and who maybe finished in 4.5 or 5 years instead of 4 and whether there are other people in residencies who are working slightly reduced hours (for medical reasons or otherwise).
My main purpose is to get an idea of how such an accommodation request would be viewed during my medical education and to find out how rare (or not rare) such accommodations are.
I am particularly worried about getting through medical school with a reduced course load but having problems finding a residency, due to having taken longer than 4 years to complete my education (while I know there are laws to protect against such discrimination, there are also stories out there of ppl who were not able to practice medicine as a result of not finding a residency, directly related to their taking longer than 4 years to graduate).
Let's assume my grades, USMLE scores and everything else would be good- the only issue would be that I would need to have the reduced course-load .
I would appreciate feedback from people who are familiar with this issue, as opposed to people just speculating about what may happen (I have done that plenty myself 😉. My sense is that the accommodation would be granted by medical schools (as per ADA) but you would have to explain to residencies why it took you slightly longer to finish school, if they asked (although you would not have to disclose your disability or the accommodation request until after you are accepted into the program). I am less clear of what would happen after you are accepted as a resident. Technically, as your employer, they would have to grant your request for less hours unless there is a very good reason not to (and decrease your salary at the same time). So it may take a little longer to finish the residency (which is OK). But given that this type of situation is not common, I am a little apprehensive and would love to hear from other people who have dealt with something similar or who know of other people who have had a similar situation.
I'm somewhat hesitant to reply to your questions because you've gotten some really great answers so far, and when the answers weren't quite what you wanted to hear, you made that very clear. However, I'm replying in case it's helpful to you anyway. I am not a medical student/resident, but my answers are based in: having completed a PhD in clinical psychology, teaching residents (IM and psychiatry) in my current position, and having treated medical and law students as part of my clinical practica in graduate school.
You are right that accommodations can be made in medical school. I suggest you contact the office of disability services at a school or two you are considering applying to. They can speak with you about some possibilities without you having "proof" of disability or not yet being a student. Different times of year might make this more or less possible for them (e.g., they may be working on students' midterm accommodations right now so might ask you to wait a month), but that would be one suggestion. They should be able to speak to you about what accommodations have been made before successfully, and what may not be possible. For example, when I taught undergrads, they could get quiet space and extra time for exams. However, requests for "unlimited assignment deadlines" and "unlimited absences" were denied as unreasonable (not even by me but by the disability office). I was happy to make whatever accommodations were approved and tried to implement them as directed and fairly.
You will want to find a medical school that has a curriculum that would be amenable to your needs. As others have stated, many are now integrated and would make missing a portion of coursework regularly very difficult in terms of progress. Some schools are lax about lecture attendance and allow you to watch over video. If you are good at that kind of thing, seek that out. Making stuff up over the summer isn't likely at most programs, but ask away.
Your M3 and M4 years will be a challenge. Some rotations will be more suitable to your time limitations than others, as others have said. I worked with my med student clients to work with their administrators to facilitate reasonable ideas for this, and we did this without using the disability office -- people were just reasonable where possible. For example, when working with a student with severe anxiety, we requested starting out with a known friendly preceptor in mostly outpatient IM, rather than jumping into surgery right away. I did my part by working with my client to maximize treatment for anxiety and sleep. Student built confidence and worked his way through rotations with no problems.
Matching into residency with an elongated path through med school may be difficult but not impossible. TDs can better speak to that. For residency, you'll want to, again, be planful about where you apply. There are other threads asking about half-time residencies on SDN - look them up. Psych isn't a terrible path if that's what you want. Yes, your time on certain services will be more time-consuming than others. If you match to a full-time residency, there may be difficulty providing good clinical care depending on how many residents are in the program -- they do have duty hour maxes.
I know a few others have suggested psychology as an alternative path, and you don't aren't interested in that. Prescribing as psych PhD is a possibility in a few states, but it's in its infancy and who knows how far that will reach. I don't recommend this path for you anyway because my hours in graduate school were long (and typical based on SDN threads; years 1-3: 70-80 hours/week, year 4-5: 55-70, year 6: 45-60 not counting dissertation time). I am hesitant to suggest a PA or Psych NP without knowing their time demands, but I'd look into that further if you're interested in prescribing.
My last point is this: I am glad you're putting thought into this, and I hope it works out for you. Beware of the sunk-cost fallacy: yes, other paths may take additional schooling, but if this path isn't going to work, better to choose to leave it now, rather than 4+ years from now. There are no guarantees in life, so get as much info as you can and make an informed decision. Good luck.