tkuhug

5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2011
Status
What is everyone's opinion on disabling check-ins, pictures, on Facebook? I just submitted a couple of applications and I have done my fair share of partying with some pictures on Facebook, ha

Jul 2, 2014
Georgia
Status
Pre-Optometry
You should probably just clean up your facebook. I used to post things like that but after a year in college I realized that was not professional in any way. And since you're applying to a PROFESSIONAL school there is a chance they might check in on that.

Mar 31, 2013
Status
Optometry Student
We've had several talks at admit day and orientation and since about maintaining a professional public persona. That includes social media. No more "funny" pictures of you drunk at parties, acting crudely, etc.

A few faculty members have said that they will google/facebook people who apply to their labs so I'm sure this includes admissions people.

Jan 26, 2012
Chicago, IL
Status
Optometry Student
Admissions people aren't the only ones you should be worried about seeing your Facebook profile. If you plan to professionally network with potential employers and co-workers and corporate reps as an optometry student and as an optometrist, think about what your Facebook profile says about you. Social media makes a pretty big first impression these days.

Consider making sure your privacy settings are up to snuff and think about joining a professional network like LinkedIn.

Apr 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Optometry
just put your pics on private where only you can see them. that's what i did lol

Jun 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Optometry
depends on what brand... if you kept it classy like a nice 21 yr old Glenfiddich, I'd reckon you'd earn brownie points.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Just max out your privacy settings. No one cares, so long as they can't Google you or search for you on FB.

Jul 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Optometry
I don't think it matters too much, just be yourself, keep it professional.