Disadvantaged Status?

Started by caligrl59
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

caligrl59

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if I should declare myself as disadvantaged? I am a first generation college student with immigrant/refugee parents. Although my father makes ~96k a year, as a child, we had no income to 20k while my father was laid off/working jobs that didn't pay too much. He started making more when I reached middle/high school.

I attended a top 10 school, and in college was able to live comfortably. However, my parents live frugally for me to able to attend college. In addition, I have not been able to receive educational/academic help from my immediately family throughout my education. Would this qualify me as disadvantaged?
 
I was wondering if I should declare myself as disadvantaged? I am a first generation college student with immigrant/refugee parents. Although my father makes ~96k a year, as a child, we had no income to 20k while my father was laid off/working jobs that didn't pay too much. He started making more when I reached middle/high school.

I attended a top 10 school, and in college was able to live comfortably. However, my parents live frugally for me to able to attend college. In addition, I have not been able to receive educational/academic help from my immediately family throughout my education. Would this qualify me as disadvantaged?
You're not disadvantaged.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I honestly believe you are not disadvantaged. I would consider someone disadvantaged that has been living all their life under the poverty line/ have a bed ridden parent to take care of/ work graveyard shifts to be able to help out with bills and attend full time school. While the other parent makes barely minimum wage. 96k is enough to live a comfortable life that too being the income of one parent.
I would like to know what schools consider as disadvantaged.
 
Hmm able to live comfortably at a top 10 school... Dad almost makes 6 figures.. Sounds disadvantaged to me [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-D801 using SDN mobile