Disadvantaged Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

super frank

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may be overthinking it at this point, but going through my application before submitting I'm unsure about what to put for disadvantaged status... I never really considered myself disadvantaged during my life, but I suppose my family has had financial hardships and I recently did get approved for FAP. Does qualifying for FAP pretty much mean that I am a disadvantaged applicant?
 
I also feel like I have been overthinking that section of the app. I also have been approved for FAP and my family has also gone through severe financial hardships and emotional struggle with a parent being diagnosed with chronic health conditions during my college years. But I feel like "disadvantaged" is a broad term and unsure if I should consider myself a disadvantaged applicant.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
There is criteria for the disadvantaged status. I don't believe qualifying for FAP means you are disadvantaged. Has your family been on food stamps during most of your life ? Reduced lunch program ? Federal assistance from the government ? Did you hold a job before 18 to support yourself? Did you live in a medically underserved area where you didn't have access to healthcare ? If one or more answers to these questions is a yes then you can make the case that you are disadvantaged. You will have the chance to explain why you believe you should be considered disadvantaged, but you must have a good reason and somehow fit the criteria as being disadvantaged.

PS you generally have to be disadvantaged for most of your teenage years not just for a short period of time.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile