Disadvantaged student status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kareful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand schools consider your disadvantaged student status and the essay you write to back this up during admissions, however, does anyone know if this also plays a role in the disbursement of financial aid packages? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools have donors who designate funds to go to a particular minority or certain disadvantaged groups, and there is a federal loan program for disadvantaged students in the dental field. So ultimately, yes, it does. Compared to medical schools, however, it is much less common.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say with 100% certainty that it does but I did choose to fill out the disadvantaged section and was subsequently awarded a nice sized scholarship. But I should also mention I had an otherwise nice application and this was for an out of state public school so they may have just been trying to lure me away from my in state school.
thanks for the input! Were you notified of this scholarship around the time of getting accepted to this dental school?