Disagreeing wtih "facts"? What to do? (pre-med)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lame0fortune

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean to be very serious. What does one do when one disagrees with medicinal "facts"? The information is dominated by males. Don't get me wrong, I plan to practice, but when I came across this while reviewing biology for the MCAT in the PR Complete Mcat book on page 472, "The female does not experience ejaculation." And, I got really angry! Um, excuse me, can we please talk about this? Isn't this a hugely oppressive statement? I haven't even gotten into medical school yet!

How does one deal with this? When are we ever going to recognize that there is a lot about medicine that white males don't know? Does anyone who has been through medical school or in medical school had a discussion about this non-sense statement who could ease my pain please? Does one just learn that females never ejaculate? Seriously?
 
I'm getting a good whiff of one of these (mods, please arm banhammer):

upload_2015-8-1_14-16-0.jpeg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean to be very serious. What does one do when one disagrees with medicinal "facts"? The information is dominated by males. Don't get me wrong, I plan to practice, but when I came across this while reviewing biology for the MCAT in the PR Complete Mcat book on page 472, "The female does not experience ejaculation." And, I got really angry! Um, excuse me, can we please talk about this? Isn't this a hugely oppressive statement? I haven't even gotten into medical school yet!

How does one deal with this? When are we ever going to recognize that there is a lot about medicine that white males don't know? Does anyone who has been through medical school or in medical school had a discussion about this non-sense statement who could ease my pain please? Does one just learn that females never ejaculate? Seriously?

I completely agree, my physiology textbook says that Indian people have tentacles instead of legs. In my opinion this is just not true; it's a myth perpetuated by white males!
 
Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean to be very serious. What does one do when one disagrees with medicinal "facts"? The information is dominated by males. Don't get me wrong, I plan to practice, but when I came across this while reviewing biology for the MCAT in the PR Complete Mcat book on page 472, "The female does not experience ejaculation." And, I got really angry! Um, excuse me, can we please talk about this? Isn't this a hugely oppressive statement? I haven't even gotten into medical school yet!

How does one deal with this? When are we ever going to recognize that there is a lot about medicine that white males don't know? Does anyone who has been through medical school or in medical school had a discussion about this non-sense statement who could ease my pain please? Does one just learn that females never ejaculate? Seriously?

Simply contact the author, and tell her that she made a mistake.
 
I'm pretty sure there actually isn't a scientific consensus on this topic yet anyway, so technically neither of you are right