Disappointed in match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

softball2344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
It is totally reasonable to be disappointed with this outcome. Speaking as someone who didn't match at one of his top choices for residency or fellowship, it isn't a good feeling.

That said... this is why I really stress to applicants that you really have to imagine what happens if you tumble down the rank list. If you truly believe that the 10th program on your list won't allow you to fulfill your career goals, then you need to not rank that program and plan instead that you would rather re-apply. Once you match the die is cast, and there just isn't much you can do.

Realistically, the best you can do is likely make the best of your current situation. You mention that their job placement "isn't great" for academic hospitalists, but that means that *someone* must manage to pull it off, and you just need to make sure that person is you. By all means keep your ears open in case a PGY-2 spot happens to open at one of the other nearby programs, but asking to transfer "because I want to apply for more competitive specialties" probably isn't going to be successful. If you failed to match in a program that you wanted as a graduating student, I think the chances that you would improve your match on a second go-around in the same specialty are essentially nil.

Like I said, I feel for you. I do hope that you can get the best outcome from your current position.

Reactions: 13 users
I've given it a week and I'm still extremely disappointed in my match result. I didn't think I would go as far down on my list as I did, and this is absolutely not what I had pictured for myself for residency at all.

I was hoping to end up in an academic program or at least a hybrid community program with tertiary care, fellowships, etc. Instead I ended up in a program where the vast majority of training is at a county hospital without much exposure to specialized care. Not only is their fellowship list bad but their job placement isn’t that great for what I wanted to do either (academic Hospitalist). I do NOT want to work in a county system when I’m an attending.

I am USMD and was mainly interviewing in one competitive region for family reasons. Step scores were very good but class rank was bad, which I think is what led me to drop so far.

I am devastated about the loss of career opportunities and lack of exposure to specialized care that I won’t get again. I am also just plan embarrassed since almost everyone else in my class ended up in academics. Is there any options at this point? Transfer, reapply, etc? I have no idea who to ask about this doubt my PD will be sympathetic..

I'm sorry that things didn't work out as you had hoped.

That being said, this gets repeated on SDN every year, but it bears repeating. Give your program a fair shot. It might surprise you. You might realize that what you thought that you wanted out of life before isn't what you want out of life in 2 or 3 years.

One of the things that I don't like about Match Day is that there is a sense of finality about it - like, this is where you've Matched to, and the rest of your life is set. And that couldn't be farther from the truth. I need more than two hands to count the number of people I know who changed programs or even changed specialties completely - and that's just off the top of my head. I would need more to count the number of people who got what they thought they wanted, only to be disillusioned but feel stuck.

Don't get dejected and give up hope. Give your program a fair shot. If you really truly still hate it after several months, you can always look into transferring. But don't write off your future yet.

Reactions: 18 users
To follow up with my colleagues above, I want to reemphasize the point that it's entirely possibly you'll be pleasantly surprised. We see posts every year of people disappointed - a subset of those posters come back 2-3-5-10 years later and talk about how much they enjoyed their residency program.

Every program is accredited and will lead to training in your field. Give it a chance.

Reactions: 9 users
I too was very disappointed and shocked on match day. Not because I don’t like the program I’m going to. I actually love it. But because I didn’t match to my #1, which I love AND is near family and in-state.

I have gone through waves of grief about it, complicated by the fact I am literally rotating at my #1 right now, so every day is reopening the fresh wound of not matching here.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Lots of good advice here. I'll only add a couple of things.

1. It's OK to be upset and "mourn your loss" for a bit, but you're going to have to get over that and move on relatively soon. The worst thing you can do for your training, and career going forward, is to go into this residency with a bad/entitled/superior attitude.
2. Some of the most badass hospitalists I've ever met came out of county programs with minimal sub-specialty support.
3. YOU will make your career and opportunities from here on out. YOU can do it from this program, or any other on your list.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
I matched at my number 3 and it was AMAZING until my PD quit. I emailed the program director of my number 1 during my PGY2 year and asked if they would take me as a PSGY 3 because there were a lot of horrible changes after the PD left where I was. To my surprise, the PD of my 1st choice said yes. I was elated. I was SO MISERABLE at my number one choice. I HATED every second of it. I agree with others, give your program a chance. Also, so many people didn't match this year, congratulations on matching

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I agree, give it a chance and then if it doesn’t work out you can look into transferring.
The lack of subspecialty support could be turned into a positive in that you learn to manage more things yourself. And being at a county hospital can definitely have its drawbacks but my dad has worked his entire career at one because the employee culture is really friendly and supportive, so you may find an environment you can put up with!
As far as jobs even if you don’t have your ideal first job you can always move on (easier then). Like for example, getting a smaller academic job for a few years could give you experience that big name centres want.

Going to echo a lot of what others here have said. I went really far down my list and honestly, knowing people that matched at places I ranked higher that are now miserable because of things I was unaware of or didn't fully consider, I feel much better about where I ended up. It was a great fit for my personality in many ways, and I couldn't ask for a better group of residents to have had a my peers.

Transferring may be an option down the line, but for now focus on the positives. You're closer to family, which gives you a support network. I ranked fairly geographically, and ultimately being close to home proved to be far more valuable than I ever imagined. Next up, community programs may not have the best exposure to fellowships in subspecialties, but they do have exposure to the specialties themselves. This exposure will be working directly with attendings, doing much of the work that fellows would do, so you may get a stronger experience than you realize. Next up, goals. Being an academic hospitalist isn't the hardest thing in the world to become, and even in a worst case scenario you can pull it off by doing a less competitive specialty (geriatrics, addiction, nephro, etc) at a more prestigious institution to build connections and boost your resume. Mind you, this is a worst case scenario. Your career goals may very well change as you train. Who knows, you may even find the more collegial and supportive nature, increased autonomy, and lower stress of a non-academic center (with better pay *and* the ability to teach) more to your speed. Give it, and yourself, a chance. The best thing you can do is look at it as a new adventure and a new opportunity, even if it's not the one you thought you wanted, it's still there waiting for you to make something wonderful out of it.

Reactions: 7 users
Things in life always work out. It could be worse. There are many med students who had worse matches or didn't match. Always look at the bright spot in all situations and you will be happier.

You matched, be happy, move on.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone. I think the worst part about this is during my interview at my program I had to straight up lie about why I wanted to go there, etc. The only reason I was interviewing there was because of location. The rest of my programs I didn't have to make **** up, I was genuinely excited about the program even if the location was far from support, so it just feel so wrong that I ended up here of all places. :( Been multiple weeks and I can't shake the feeling I ruined my career, wondering if anyone who was able to successfully transfer programs (within the same specialty) wouldn't mind PMing me more info. Everyone in my personal life is telling me to suck it up, medicine isn't everything, etc and I just still can't believe this happened and am still holding on to hope I can fix this if I get there and it's what I am expecting.
Karma is a bitch...
you can continue to wallow in this and think somehow you are going to figure out how to transfer into a “better” program, when that didn’t happen the first time around OR you can decided you are going to make the best of this residency and be the best resident you can be to get the training you need to be a good doctor...go into the program with this chip on your shoulder, people will notice... and you will fulfill your prophecy... and the only one that will suffer will be you...and maybe your co residents and patients.

sometimes things happen for a reason...try to find that reason.

Reactions: 7 users
Some important things that bear repeating.
1. Do not rank any place you absolutely don't want to be at. If you rank it, be prepared to be there.
2. If your ultimate intention is to be an academic hospitalist I'm not sure I understand why a lack of ""specialized care" is an important consideration. You're better off learning everything about every subspecialty and in a location that doesn't have a lot of strong "specialize care" you're more likely to learn these things. You didn't specify but you're also more likely to get a lot more exposure to what I assume will be an open ICU which should prepare you better for those types of work situations.
3. If you do not perform at this residency no one at a "better" location will give you a second look, especially not when it comes time to apply for a job.

Thanks for the honest advice. I am regretting ranking this community program in my extremely competitive home state (you can probably guess which one) over academic programs out of state. Its not like I think I am better than anyone who matched here they are all USMD too and probably great. Just regret not realizing what kind of training I wanted. And I obviously understand I would NOT be looked at by all the programs I dropped through. I will work hard regardless I REALLY don't want to have to do a chief year already have a ton of debt and its not like I'm trying to become a APD or something, but want to try to get invited to apply in case I need to
Aim for chief...even if you don’t accept the option, you will have developed enough good will with those that can help you get a good position or a fellowship... fellowship isn’t always about where you go, but who you know... sub specialties are small worlds... everyone knows everyone... you will be surprised how many well regarded and respected people in a sub specialty are at smaller places.
Unless you are looking at gi, cards, or hem/onc, research can be a few case reports and poster presentations at meetings...and you can always start something wherever you are... you would be surprised at how many private practice guys do research as well.
Start asking around and see who there could be around that you can work with... people love free help.

Aim for chief...even if you don’t accept the option, you will have developed enough good will with those that can help you get a good position or a fellowship... fellowship isn’t always about where you go, but who you know... sub specialties are small worlds... everyone knows everyone... you will be surprised how many well regarded and respected people in a sub specialty are at smaller places.
Unless you are looking at gi, cards, or hem/onc, research can be a few case reports and poster presentations at meetings...and you can always start something wherever you are... you would be surprised at how many private practice guys do research as well.
Start asking around and see who there could be around that you can work with... people love free help.
How early is too early to start asking around for opportunities when I start? Want to get situated/ comfortable but I also know how long it can take to even just get started on a project let alone complete it

I've given it a week and I'm still extremely disappointed in my match result. I didn't think I would go as far down on my list as I did, and this is absolutely not what I had pictured for myself for residency at all.

I was hoping to end up in an academic program or at least a hybrid community program with tertiary care, fellowships, etc. Instead I ended up in a program where the vast majority of training is at a county hospital without much exposure to specialized care. Not only is their fellowship list bad but their job placement isn’t that great for what I wanted to do either (academic Hospitalist). I do NOT want to work in a county system when I’m an attending.

I am USMD and was mainly interviewing in one competitive region for family reasons. Step scores were very good but class rank was bad, which I think is what led me to drop so far.

I am devastated about the loss of career opportunities and lack of exposure to specialized care that I won’t get again. I am also just plan embarrassed since almost everyone else in my class ended up in academics. Is there any options at this point? Transfer, reapply, etc? I have no idea who to ask about this doubt my PD will be sympathetic..

Imagine THEIR disappointment in getting you 😏.

You state you they were way down on your rank list, which obviously means that none of them ranked you high enough, so you should be glad you got in somewhere.

Match is a BINDING contract so you HAVE to go there.... and as this comes up EVERY year, this is exactly why you never rank a place unless you can see yourself for 3-5 years.

How early is too early to start asking around for opportunities when I start? Want to get situated/ comfortable but I also know how long it can take to even just get started on a project let alone complete it
its never too early... i mean you really should enjoy the time you have off from now to the beginning of intern year...you will not have this type of time off again. That being said, if you know what specialty you are interested, start looking to see who is faculty, if anyone is doing research, or would be interested in being a mentor for you. Mentors can change and you don't have to have only one...in fact they don't have to be at the same place that you are... actively look for someone and ask if they are willing to mentor you. But you need to think about what you want from the mentoring relationship as well.

if you know anyone at the program you matched at, contact them and asked them about the opportunities available...you may be surprised at what could be there.

good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I posted earlier in your thread in response to my own situation. Mine was kind of the opposite. Loved the program but ranked it 5 because it was out of state / far from everyone I know.

However, I was able to visit a couple weeks ago and I fell in love with the area, and really even more in love with my program too.

all this to say, I am super glad I am going where I’m going. I am very excited not just for the program only anymore, but the area too.

maybe once you get to visit your program or actually start orientation, you’ll start getting excited as well. I hope the best for you.

Thanks everyone. I think the worst part about this is during my interview at my program I had to straight up lie about why I wanted to go there, etc. The only reason I was interviewing there was because of location. The rest of my programs I didn't have to make **** up, I was genuinely excited about the program even if the location was far from support, so it just feel so wrong that I ended up here of all places. :( Been multiple weeks and I can't shake the feeling I ruined my career, wondering if anyone who was able to successfully transfer programs (within the same specialty) wouldn't mind PMing me more info. Everyone in my personal life is telling me to suck it up, medicine isn't everything, etc and I just still can't believe this happened and am still holding on to hope I can fix this if I get there and it's what I am expecting.
Look, take it from someone that was just as miserable as you and realized I just wasted months being miserable with anticipation for no reason- you haven't ruined your career *at all* and things are *going to be fine.* If you don't go into it with a open mind you're going to create a self-fulfilling prophecy of misery. You weren't condemned to a gulag in Siberia, you were sent to a less than ideal program in your field of choice and that program can be what you make of it. Even if you had ranked other places higher, you could have still ended up where you're at, or you could have ended up far more miserable due to geography and program malignancy.

Reactions: 4 users
Was attributing it to the west coast being competitive but gosh thanks.. I know how the match works I am obviously going to show up and work hard... was looking for options after PGY1 year. I only know of people who transferred for personal reasons but thought professional reasons might not be completely ridiculous. It was extremely hard to rank this year I had never been to many of the places I was interviewing at out of state and moving alone to a place I’d never been seemed like a bad idea but of course now I’m not so sure. Don’t want to blame COVID for all my mistakes but it certainly didn’t help my situation :/
Transferring is something that isn't easy to do. The first step is doing well in your current program and getting on the good side of your PD, as a transfer is up to them. You have to be careful about how you approach it, and will have to find an open position or someone willing to swap, which is kind of a crap shoot

Life is full of disappointments and success. It shows what kind of character you have when dealing with disappointments and NOT dealing with success.

People will respect you more when they know you did the best job with the best attitude dealing with a bad situation.

Nice job.

Sounds like you get to stay in your home state for sunshine and surf during residency, and in a handful of years you'll be a community doc making at least twice the amount of your friends who are chasing the brass ring in academia.

I have a friend who have ended up at One of the big 4 in NYC (Columbia, NYU, Sinai, Cornell) for radiology residency. His number one choice, a community radiology program, did not rank him high enough to match 😅

Cali community programs are extremely competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.