Disaster/Tactical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in disaster medicine or tactical medicine? If so, why? Anyone know of good resources for these specialties/fellowships?

P

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet.

Many thanks.

P

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an interest group at UF-Jax. Residents train with the SWAT team and some are really interested because they get to fire big guns and tandem parachute etc with them. I don't do it, but it's pretty exciting I think to be there and backup the SWAT team and they get to do some stuff they otherwise may never get the chance to do.

We also have a DMAT team staffed by many EMS,TECHs,RNs,PAs and MDs from UF. I like the idea of taking some social responsibility to respond to disasters in our area and nationally if necessary. We also help out with community events. I think it's important to be a part of the community and what says EMERGENCY more than Disaster medicine? These aren't people who called EMS for a ride into the ED for their knee pain they've had for 2 months wanting a new RX for dilaudid!

Originally posted by wook
Just to advertise my ignorance, what is UF-Jax?

Thanks!!

Wook
University of Florida at Jacksonville

Yeah UF-Jax seemed pretty committed to tactical medicine. Loma Linda's training in tactical is pretty spectacular as well.

On interviews it seemed that Medical College of Georgia had the most tactical medicine - FBI, SWAT, etc. followed by Palmetto Richland. I didn't visit FL so I haven't heard anything about them.

Casey

I know that Medical College of Georgia does have a center for Operational Medicine and its director (and interim ED director) is former special forces. There are at least two of the attendings that do train with the SWAT team and I believe a bunch of the residents are involved as well. In addition, MCG does have a DMAT team affiliated with it.

Also, there is a fellowship at Wayne State Universit in Detroit, MI. The fellowship is in disaster medicine, EMS, and Weapons of Mass Effect. I do not know the exact title of it. The fellowship is 2 years and the first fellow is in the first year of the fellowship. The director is very active in EMS as well as DMAT.