Disclosing remediation status during job interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domerr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise and suggestions guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently on my final year of residency, and in the process of job application. I underwent remediation during my intern year to improve performance. Did well at the time, and rest of residency went smoothly.

Surprisingly, most of the groups I interviewed with did not ask any questions regarding my academic history. Thus, I did not bring up the topic of remediation if not asked. Would this be considered an act of intentionally withholding information? I have already received a job offer, but I may have to disclose my history to some of the groups before signing any contracts.

Of note, remediation is not considered a reportable action in my program. However, I confirmed with my PD that he may disclose the information if asked about concerns/issues that were raised during my residency.

Thanks guys!!

I probably would not disclose unless asked.
Tricky situation - hopefully your PD backs you up if he has to report it, in that it was an issue during intern year and you subsequently improved and had no issues from that point going forward.

My PD is supportive of me. My biggest concern is being accused of intentionally withholding information, since I did not voluntarily bring up the topic of remediation during interview. I guess I could have brought up the issue when asked about my strength/weakness... but still, many groups did not directly ask about my academic history. To make things even more complicated, my PD is instructing me to check "no" when asked about disciplinary actions on my license/credentialing forms, and that he will back me up on that. However, he will still disclose without using the term "remediation" if asked about issues/concerns during residency.

Would you guys consider this an act of intentionally withholding information??? Should I be sending a followup email/call to the groups that I did not disclose the issue?

Really appreciate your input guys!

I was going to say that you should ask your PD about this.
But, it sounds like he's a dick.
If you volunteer it, it won't look good. It will potentially expose you to further line of questioning that may not end well. If you decide to volunteer it, you better have a well-rehearsed line to prevent you from looking bad. Don't be robotic like Rubio though.
If your PD tells it and you left it out, it doesn't look good.
Your best bet is the employers don't ask about it and you're in the clear.

Don't answer credentialing/licensing questions dishonestly. That's an easy way to get a big slap on the wrist. Something like suspension of your license, large fines, loss of hospital privileges, etc.
Read the question, think about your situation, and answer honestly.

Don't answer credentialing/licensing questions dishonestly. That's an easy way to get a big slap on the wrist. Something like suspension of your license, large fines, loss of hospital privileges, etc.
Read the question, think about your situation, and answer honestly.

Generally, I agree and am usually for being forthcoming.
But, this is apparently a remediation issue that won't even show up on his residency record and (from what we know) hasnt extended his training. So, it's a huge ? Mark. Perhaps he would be in the clear to come clean and maybe future employers won't make much of it? I just don't know. He needs to communicate with the PD and potentially a lawyer.

Deleted...

Last edited:
what you have to disclose to an employer does not have to be at the same level as what you disclose to a board
it may be though

I would always be upfront with the board
if I was really worried I would consult an attorney
in fact, any red flag in my medical career and the attorney on retainer gets a call

don't be any more upfront with an employer than you must be by law, trust me

Reactions: 1 user
I would fill out all forms honestly, and if someone asks about timeline, then disclose (I doubt they will). Otherwise, this is a residency issue that hopefully has no bearing on your current situation.

Most jobs are desperate and just want to know if you have a heartbeat and a clean license and could care less how you did in intern year. If they do ask, it is more because they want to make sure that you weren't using drugs or breaking any laws during that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how they can call something remediation if they did not make you repeat a month, etc. and not extend your time. That would imply that they gave you credit for the month that they're making you remediate. That doesn't sound like real remediation, and it doesn't sound like the kind of screening questions that I have seen on medical licensing forms that you would have to worry about.

Last edited:
In my book, "disciplinary action" and "remediation" are 2 different things.

Check with your Medical Board as to what constitutes a "disciplinary action."

to anwer someone above you can be put on a remediation plan where you still get credit for the rotation and all

some plans just have you have a supervised study schedule, let's say, like a certain number of pages in MKSAP or questions in a bank and they monitor
or if not over work hours more shifts so you get more experience if that's the case
or a workshop to work on certain skills in procedures you might be behind in compared with your peers
remediation plan could include you having closer supervision with an upper or attending

or remediation can be total bull**** where they write everything they find you lacking in, vague terms of how they will help, and then don't help

varies widely

sometimes, let's say you struggled in the few first months, got put on remediation or whatever, if you make the desired progress by a certain point, you get all credit, versus you get to a certain point and aren't up to snuff, then you don't, so each rotation may not be judged totally indivudually like say, med school
as a resident they are looking at the total package at various checkpoints, not just a checkbox of roations