discouraged:no classes fit my work schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wagmanager

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just feeling a bit discouraged and wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and how you dealt with it. I'm a non trad currently doing my pre-requisites. I started in jan '10 and have completed 33 credits with a full time non flexible schedule. But now the schedule for classes and my work schedule don't fit. I've been checking all the schools in NJ to no avail. So spring semester I am only taking 5 credits which is a waste of time in my opinion as this is the one semester that my mum will be able to come over to help.(have 3 kids and hubby is a student too). Asking for a schedule change at work is out of the question as I have already done that and been told that other people should not have to change their schedules(which they've had for many years) just because I want to pursue my dreams. So what would you do in order not to 'waste the time'? start studying for the Mcat ?, as i've taken gen chem I and II, bio I, orgo and orgo I and will be taking orgo II in spring. was actually hoping to take bio II but it is not working out. Thanks for hearing me out. Already feel better for having put it down in words.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't plan to actually take the MCAT within 4-5 months of when you began to study, it will be a waste of time. Your brain will not retain it. It also sounds like you haven't taken Physics, so you will probably not be able to adequately prepare for the test.

You should look into doing research or doing some kind of volunteer work. Life isn't perfect.

Agree with the previous post :) Find a volunteer/research position. As for the MCAT, you can study the Verbal Section. Practice reading passages and answering questions :thumbup: I would recommend getting Examkrackers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to change jobs/quit and go on full steam with postbac classes? I quit a $40+/hour job to go back to school when my bosses refused to accomodate my request to reduce workload.
It was a disasterous hit to the budget and working flexible $10/hour jobs as a TA/tutor is hardly a substitution but compounded with some private tutoring (which commonly runs at 20/hour) alleviate some financial strain while allowing me to manage my time and my credit load on my own terms.

Is it possible to change jobs/quit and go on full steam with postbac classes? I quit a $40+/hour job to go back to school when my bosses refused to accomodate my request to reduce workload.
It was a disasterous hit to the budget and working flexible $10/hour jobs as a TA/tutor is hardly a substitution but compounded with some private tutoring (which commonly runs at 20/hour) alleviate some financial strain while allowing me to manage my time and my credit load on my own terms.

Wow you sound like me; I walked away from an excellent job as I worked 60+ hrs/week and there was no way to ever be a pre-med while working. I'm doing a combination of local & online IT work & programming to make ends meet and it is has definitely been a challenge.

To the OP, I would agree with others if you can't change work then I would try to do some volunteering/research/etc so you don't totally lose the semester.

thanks everyone for your response. Quitting is out of the question as i am the sole provider for my family. I guess I'll concentrate on maybe studying verbal section for mcat, research and volunteering.In the meantime I may have to start looking for another job(same field) with better schedule.

Did you look into taking Physics I or Calc I (not necessary but would help your math/science gpa)? What about microbiology or anatomy and physiology? Neither are required but could help with the MCAT and help your gpa if you get As.

I had a similar problem finding a physics class last semester. I ended up paying double to go to a school in another county, and I'm doing it again this semester because it didn't make sense to take the sequence at different schools.

If none of these classes work out, research and volunteering are critical for your app as well so might as well put in the hours towards those activities. I don't have any research experience and I worry about it.

Did you look into taking Physics I or Calc I (not necessary but would help your math/science gpa)? What about microbiology or anatomy and physiology? Neither are required but could help with the MCAT and help your gpa if you get As.

I had a similar problem finding a physics class last semester. I ended up paying double to go to a school in another county, and I'm doing it again this semester because it didn't make sense to take the sequence at different schools.

If none of these classes work out, research and volunteering are critical for your app as well so might as well put in the hours towards those activities. I don't have any research experience and I worry about it.

I did look into genetics, biochemistry, physics and cell biology. IN different schools. Nothing is working. I guess I'll just use the semester to catch up on volunteering and research and the like. thanks for your reply

This may sound strange, but have you thought about finding some stuff online? While I am in a completely different situation (I have all of my prerequisites taken, but am improving my GPA), I have found many science courses online. Some need proctored exams, some don't... some will fulfill your UL science credits, and if nothing else, they provide some more credit hours for your GPA. I have found physics courses online (not that I'd recommend it), calculus as well, chemistry, and tons of biology classes. I know for the school I attend, the online courses are the same cost for in or out of state tuition... Good luck...

What happens next semester? Are you sure those classes will fit your schedule then?

If they will, then this sounds like a great opportunity to shadow and volunteer.

Maybe not prudent for a hard and fast pre-req but perhaps you could do some electives and still feel productive. In any case, research and volunteering is very important as well, esp. at interviewing stage.

http://www.une.edu/com/online/

I faced similar frustrations, eventually left the job. So sorry for your predicament. It turned out just fine for me in the end, starting school next autumn, and will for you too!

Maybe not prudent for a hard and fast pre-req but perhaps you could do some electives and still feel productive. In any case, research and volunteering is very important as well, esp. at interviewing stage.

http://www.une.edu/com/online/

I faced similar frustrations, eventually left the job. So sorry for your predicament. It turned out just fine for me in the end, starting school next autumn, and will for you too!

I did look into this and emailed a couple of schools that I am interested in and two of them said those credits would not be acceptable. As I do not have a long list of schools that I'm applying to due to geographical constraints I can't afford to scratch schools off my list.
I don't know why they won't accept credits from UNE. The exams are proctored and it is a medical school. It is time for them to change their way of thinking. As long as labs aren't involved what's the difference? Quite a few people don't go for lectures anyway and just read the slides at home.OK end of rant. Thanks for listening.

Since I am only improving my GPA, that's why I can get away with it, none of the classes are prereqs, and I have taken "in person" courses as well, it's not that they won't take the credits from UNE, its that the courses are online... The reason the don't take them is the high likelihood of cheating, I suppose even with proctored exams they feel you can still cheat... I agree that some of it needs to change... but... they hold the keys to the kingdom, and we have to play the game their way... :(

Since I am only improving my GPA, that's why I can get away with it, none of the classes are prereqs, and I have taken "in person" courses as well, it's not that they won't take the credits from UNE, its that the courses are online... The reason the don't take them is the high likelihood of cheating, I suppose even with proctored exams they feel you can still cheat... I agree that some of it needs to change... but... they hold the keys to the kingdom, and we have to play the game their way... :(

yeah, that's why I'm eating humble pie all the way. I'll keep on looking. Maybe do some online humanities courses as I could use a few of those.Or maybe I could find a school whose transcript does not designate the online course as 'online'.