1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Discrepency in work hours

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by canidoc, Sep 3, 2014.

1. canidoc

2+ Year Member

UPDATE: I NEVER PRESSED THE SUBMIT BUTTON. DOES THAT MEAN THE CHANGES I MADE WERENT PUT ON THE APP? I JUST PRESSED THE SAVE BUTTON

Hey guys
    So all my apps ar ein and i have been on a few interviews. Last night i went to update my work experience on AACOMAS because of a new position I have gotten and I took a look at some of the hours I had entered for my waiting and random jobs in 2004-2008. I didnt remember how much I worked at the time. Sometimes I would work 40 hours, sometimes I would work 24. So i got scared that they would do a background check and see something that doesnt match what i remembered. So I change some of them to th elower number. I have actually worked full time even tho I was a part time employee most often.
    So I know AACOMAS sends updated applications every tuesday. My question is, are medschools gonna see that I changed this and think im lying and reject me? I by no means lied, but anxiety got the best of me and I switched the dates of my work and now im petrified and having a full on panic attack that they will think im lying. Im sorry for the rambling and bad typing but im having a full on panic attack.

#1 canidoc, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hallowmann

hallowmann SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They're looking for a rough estimate. When I did it, I estimated hours too, but tried to round down if I wasn't sure. I doubt a few hours off will really matter to anyone.

As far as them getting an updated app, if you changed it after verification, they'll get the updated app. I doubt they would really notice the change though. Its one of the smallest parts of a huge app that gets sent to them. I'd also be shocked if any school rejected you based solely on something as minor as that.

AlteredScale likes this.
  4. WalSlave

7+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Med schools do a criminal background check. They aren't worried about tiny discrepancies in your employment history.

hallowmann and AlteredScale like this.
  5. nolimits1

Pre-Medical
    If you were a liar, then why would you go about changing it? Rather, if the adcoms even take the time to make a comparison -- they'll be happy you were honest enough to fix a mistake. It's no biggy.

The few hours of work you're now lacking was definitely not the deciding factor as to why you've gotten interviews.

6. canidoc

2+ Year Member

Thank you so much guys. I made the changes last night, I think they send the updated app on tuesday mornings right? So mine should be send out yet. Should I change it back to what it was? thanks for calming me down by the way. I dont know what i would do without this incredible support community of students

7. kelminak

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't keep changing it and just leave it alone unless there is a significant increase. It's highly unlikely someone is going to check the hours you worked in any case so why disadvantage yourself?

8. CUNYguy

CUNYguy The City Kid
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Experience > exact time worked.

You could work 40 hours and get nothing out of it. Or you could work 24 and write immensely about it.

Am I right? Or am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

AlteredScale likes this.
  9. canidoc

2+ Year Member

Hey guys, so i just realized I never pushed the submit button. does that mean my updates weren't admitted to the system? I just pressed save when i was entering them. Thank you again

10. hallowmann

hallowmann SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you have to hit submit to actually submit changes to your app.

11. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This is nothing to worry about. Just update and you'll be fine.