• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

medschoolhopeful99

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi guys,
Im taking Discrete Math for CS majors right now (since I'm a CS major) and I'm not doing too hot despite studying pretty hard (just got ~79) on my first exam. I have finished my premed prereqs and am just doing this major now to keep my options open and have a BCPM GPA of 3.9. I'm scared if I get a B or C this will screw my science gpa so would a Discrete Math course for CS majors count as a CS or Math class under BCPM? If it doesn't go too hot by end of sem should I turn it pass fail?

KendallJennerSniperLady69

2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It will count as BCPM.

If you need it for your major to graduate, don't turn it into a P/F. One bad grade is a drop in the bucket.

medschoolhopeful99

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It will count as BCPM.

If you need it for your major to graduate, don't turn it into a P/F. One bad grade is a drop in the bucket.
My school has Exceptional Pass Fail still (because of the pandemic) so I can take any class pass fail and have it count towards requirements. Is it still a bad idea?

About the Ads
Jan 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi, another CS major here who was in the same dilemma. I'd suggest not making this a P/F and just taking the grade. I personally took the B for discrete math and it did hurt my 3.96 sGPA and lowered it, but looking back, one grade didn't make or break my current application in the cycle. There are so many other things to consider such as MCAT, volunteering activities, LoR, research, etc. My interviewers never cared about the grade and matter of fact commented on my year with discrete math still as "an oustanding academic performance."

Discrete math sucks, stay strong :^( I don't remember a single thing from that class...

medschoolhopeful99

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi, another CS major here who was in the same dilemma. I'd suggest not making this a P/F and just taking the grade. I personally took the B for discrete math and it did hurt my 3.96 sGPA and lowered it, but looking back, one grade didn't make or break my current application in the cycle. There are so many other things to consider such as MCAT, volunteering activities, LoR, research, etc. My interviewers never cared about the grade and matter of fact commented on my year with discrete math still as "an oustanding academic performance."

Discrete math sucks, stay strong :^( I don't remember a single thing from that class...
It's sooo hard, I studied harder for it than I did for Orgo and did way worse. Do you have any recommendations to study for it? Practice problems hasn't been particularly helpful for me, but should I just keep doing more? Also why is P/F not good if it still counts for my major? Would Med Schools care?

PS: any pass fail during pandemic will count for my major

Sep 17, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My discrete mathematics class did not count as part of my BCPM GPA. I got a B- so I'm very glad that it didn't. This was marked as a CS course on my transcript.

medschoolhopeful99

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My discrete mathematics class did not count as part of my BCPM GPA. I got a B- so I'm very glad that it didn't. This was marked as a CS course on my transcript.
It's good to see that I'm not the only person who struggles with this class lol
Would you agree then that it's not a class medical schools will pay much attention to if I make it go exceptional pass fail? Since its not a prereq and all

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.