Discrete Mathematics from CS Department

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolhopeful99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im taking Discrete Math for CS majors right now (since I'm a CS major) and I'm not doing too hot despite studying pretty hard (just got ~79) on my first exam. I have finished my premed prereqs and am just doing this major now to keep my options open and have a BCPM GPA of 3.9. I'm scared if I get a B or C this will screw my science gpa so would a Discrete Math course for CS majors count as a CS or Math class under BCPM? If it doesn't go too hot by end of sem should I turn it pass fail?

Members don't see this ad.

It will count as BCPM.

If you need it for your major to graduate, don't turn it into a P/F. One bad grade is a drop in the bucket.

It will count as BCPM.

If you need it for your major to graduate, don't turn it into a P/F. One bad grade is a drop in the bucket.
My school has Exceptional Pass Fail still (because of the pandemic) so I can take any class pass fail and have it count towards requirements. Is it still a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, another CS major here who was in the same dilemma. I'd suggest not making this a P/F and just taking the grade. I personally took the B for discrete math and it did hurt my 3.96 sGPA and lowered it, but looking back, one grade didn't make or break my current application in the cycle. There are so many other things to consider such as MCAT, volunteering activities, LoR, research, etc. My interviewers never cared about the grade and matter of fact commented on my year with discrete math still as "an oustanding academic performance."

Discrete math sucks, stay strong :^( I don't remember a single thing from that class...

In my opinion, it won't matter whether you get a B in it or you get P in it.
I'm too scared of a B haha. I guess if Med Schools wont care if Discrete Math is pass fail (since its a non prereq) I'll just turn it pass fail!

Hi, another CS major here who was in the same dilemma. I'd suggest not making this a P/F and just taking the grade. I personally took the B for discrete math and it did hurt my 3.96 sGPA and lowered it, but looking back, one grade didn't make or break my current application in the cycle. There are so many other things to consider such as MCAT, volunteering activities, LoR, research, etc. My interviewers never cared about the grade and matter of fact commented on my year with discrete math still as "an oustanding academic performance."

Discrete math sucks, stay strong :^( I don't remember a single thing from that class...
It's sooo hard, I studied harder for it than I did for Orgo and did way worse. Do you have any recommendations to study for it? Practice problems hasn't been particularly helpful for me, but should I just keep doing more? Also why is P/F not good if it still counts for my major? Would Med Schools care?

PS: any pass fail during pandemic will count for my major

My discrete mathematics class did not count as part of my BCPM GPA. I got a B- so I'm very glad that it didn't. This was marked as a CS course on my transcript.

My discrete mathematics class did not count as part of my BCPM GPA. I got a B- so I'm very glad that it didn't. This was marked as a CS course on my transcript.
It's good to see that I'm not the only person who struggles with this class lol
Would you agree then that it's not a class medical schools will pay much attention to if I make it go exceptional pass fail? Since its not a prereq and all

I would take the exceptional pass/fail if given the option.

Reactions: 1 user