Discrimination in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

google_singh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I find this forum very useful and members here are extremely helping.

I just wanna ask would I face any discrimination as I am a Sikh......Actually I wear a turban and I dont cut my beard.....may be u guys have seen Sikhs

Members don't see this ad.

google_singh said:
Hi Guys

I just wanna ask would I face any discrimination as I am a Sikh......Actually I wear a turban and I dont cut my beard.....may be u guys have seen Sikhs

I interviewed with a couple of applicants who chose to wear the turban and still had their beard. One was an American and the other was from Punjab.
I also met a coupe of applicants who were Sikh and said they had chosen to cut their hair, forgo the turban and were clean shaven. They said they did it to avoid discrimination.
One attending I interviewed with was visibly Sikh.

It depends on how important it is to you. If a program were to discriminate on you based on your appearance, then you probably wouldn't be happy there if you matched. If you went back to the turban and beard later and people were to treat you different that would be a lot worse than not being matched at that place to begin with.

Some programs/PDs would probably give it a second thought but I don't think it would have that much bearing when it came time to rank. I really don't. It also probably depends on where you are applying. In some areas of the country certain ethinic groups are scarce and in others, they are everywhere and no-one would even notice that you stand out. Consideration of the area of the country is something to think about. If it is really important to you, which to most Sikhs it is, than don't change your appearance just for this. It wouldn't be worth the possible advantage (probably slight) and then you might be unhappy at the program anyway when the "found" out.

Good Luck. Susrikal (I am sure I spelled that sooo wrong).

Oh, and by your last name which I am assuming is part of your screen name, they would know you are Sihk before they every invited you to interview anyway.

google_singh said:
Hi Guys

It depends. You may face more overt discrimination from the patients than your colleagues. But at least the patients will be honest about it. That highly depends on what part of the country you're training in. Urban areas, in general, may be more tolerant in that regard compared to more rural areas. While medicine seems on the surface to be a much more civilized, tolerant profession than some others there will always be racists in any group. The question you have to ask yourself is whether the way you dress is an important part of your identity. If it is, you shouldn't change it for anyone (as long your identity doesn't include not brushing your teeth post-call).

Where I am, in New York City, it is pretty common to work with med students, residents, and attendings who are Sikh and have not cut their hair. One of my closest friends is a Sikh surgery resident with uncut hair. As far as getting residency, I don't think he experienced any more discrimination than any other foreign medical grad (as you probably know, FMGs are often stuck with the residency spots that no one else wants). It helps that he is an AIIMS graduate. But in terms of the general public, yes, there is discrimination. He lives in the Bronx, and he has gotten rude comments from people around where he lives. This was especially bad after 9/11, as people seemed to assume that he was Muslim. One woman shouted at him and told him to "go back to Saudi Arabia," which is ridiculous since he clearly looks like a Punjabi Sikh. He has never faced any violence, but the rude comments really bother him. In Manhattan, he doesn't have to deal with that, for the most part.

The discrimination would almost certainly be worse in suburban and rural areas.

On the other hand, there are communities in the city that are almost entirely Punjabi, especially out in Queens, where you would fit in very easily.

If you are thinking about coming to New York, send me a private message. I have a lot of Punjabi friends.

I interviewed at a program in California and the Chief Resident and a first year looked both visible sikhs -turban and uncut hair-

Although you may experience some discrimination from ignorant people, you may also find that other people really respect you for who you really are and your decision to stand out for your beliefs.

Bobblehead said:
It depends. ... While medicine seems on the surface to be a much more civilized, tolerant profession than some others there will always be racists in any group. ...

[said totally tongue in cheek with an impish grin] :laugh:

I don't think its your religion you need to worry about.

You'll be an intern, which means you'll be on the bottom. Medicine is full of bottom feeders [they're called residents, nurses, ward clerks, attendings...]. and interns are on the bottom :p :p

Watch the movie "Shawshank Redemption", get yourself a good rock hammer and a Rita Hayworth poster, you'll get through it. I agree that anyplace that wouldn't respect your personal religious beliefs would make it harder. Good luck.
------------------------------------------------------------------
From the movie: "You've served 40 years of a life sentence. Do you think you've been rehabilitated?"
"Rehabilitated is just a made up word. Now go on and stamp your form sonny boy and quit wasting my time."

Thank you all for really encouraging replies......i read them all several times........though more replies are welcome.

I was asking this question bcoz one of my brother did his residency in US and then he had hard time finding job bcoz of his appearance. Ultimately he cut his hair and beard.

But at no point of time i'd thought that i will forgo my religion and apperance

Good Luck. Susrikal (I am sure I spelled that sooo wrong).

Yeah u spelt it wrong ( its Sat Sri Akal) meaning "True is the Exalted Timeless One"

But u pronounced it absolutely correct

Unfortunately even though we live in arguably the most ethnically and culturally diverse and tolerant nation in history, there are still segments of society where racism is alive and well. Larger urban areas on the East and West coasts, the south in Texas and also Chicago in the midWest are generally more tolerant. Areas in the US where the average education level is lower are, not surprisingly, the least tolerant areas.

It is likely that you will encounter some discrimination along the way, but if you feel strongly about your personal beliefs, then you should not abandon them because you will be able to find a residency spot and jobs in the future.

As the older generations move on, and a generation comes of age where children were born in a world with the internet connecting people from all over the globe in a closer manner, there is strong hope that racism will become further marginalized.

There is no doubt that a major reason why the US is an economic, cultural, athletic and technological powerhouse in the world is that this country accepts the best from all over the world and gives them a chance to succeed based on character, ability, competence, and intelligence.