Discussing away rotations during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErrantWhatever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey PM&R gang,

As interview season is kicking off, this is a topic I've wondered about: how are away rotations at other institutions regarded by programs? Is it a topic to avoid, because it may implicitly suggest you are hoping to match at the place you did an away rotation at? Or do programs these days assume you've done an away, and while that may imply you would like to match there, it's no big deal because everyone does them these days. Just curious what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Programs don't assume things or think things, people do. That being said, it's probably a safe topic. Unlike politics.

I always talked about my away rotations during my interview. It's a good time to show your interest in the field and to talk about patients that you have seen that may have influenced your decision to apply to PMR.

Reactions: 1 users
I always talked about my away rotations during my interview. It's a good time to show your interest in the field and to talk about patients that you have seen that may have influenced your decision to apply to PMR.
100% this. It shows interest and initiative in the field. PM&R is pretty niche and may be a "back up" specialty for some, so you gotta show your commitment to the field