Discussing Shortcomings in the Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi,

I am finishing up my Personal Statement for this cycle but do not know whether, and how much, to discuss my 29R MCAT (10 P, 10 B, 9 V). I am applying to mostly mid-tier MD schools and a few DO schools.

Also, I am a Social Welfare major so pretty much all of my Science GPA (which is 3.73, Overall is 3.83) is based on premed requirements. While I know that my science GPA is okay, more than half of the courses were Honors and I got Bs is Organic 1 and Physics (calculus-based) 2 (all the others were As and one AB). Is it necessary to discuss my grades in my PS since there are not that many Science courses?

I appreciate any and all advice!
Thank you very much! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

As a general rule, the word "MCAT" should never ever appear in your personal statement.

No, it's not necessary to discuss them. They are already listed for them to view. You want to use your PS to show your strengths, why you want to be a doctor, what about you would indicate that you will be a good doctor. You want them to want to meet you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't discuss it at all. 10 in the sciences and 9 in verbal is not a bad score, despite many on here who will tell you your lack of a 36 or higher will get you automatically rejected.

don't discuss it. save it for the interview, if it comes up.

if it's getting late in the admissions cycle and you're not getting many interviews, you may want to consider retaking it for next year though.

yeah, i concur. i wouldnt discuss them.

Hi,

I am finishing up my Personal Statement for this cycle but do not know whether, and how much, to discuss my 29R MCAT (10 P, 10 B, 9 V). I am applying to mostly mid-tier MD schools and a few DO schools.

Also, I am a Social Welfare major so pretty much all of my Science GPA (which is 3.73, Overall is 3.83) is based on premed requirements. While I know that my science GPA is okay, more than half of the courses were Honors and I got Bs is Organic 1 and Physics (calculus-based) 2 (all the others were As and one AB). Is it necessary to discuss my grades in my PS since there are not that many Science courses?

I appreciate any and all advice!
Thank you very much! :oops:

in your personal statement, you are pretty much answering the familiar "tell me about yourself" question. how do you think adcoms might feel about reading dull excuses for your grades and mcat (and i doubt you have any interesting reasons for a 29 MCAT or a 3.83 GPA) vs. interesting life experiences? i wouldn't mention grades and mcat at all.

Yeah. I wouldn't try to excuse a 3.73 BCPM GPA.