• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

swindle569

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi, I am a new poster here on SDN. I am currently pre-dental and have taken the DAT (20+ score on AA and PAT). Right now I am an undergrad in a university ranked around 20-25 nationally majoring in biology. I was academically dismissed a year ago because I was not doing well in my classes due to lack of motivation. I am working towards my degree right now and have a 3.1 GPA. Is it almost impossible to get admitted to a dental school if I was dismissed before? Anyone here had the same problem before? Any contribution to this question would be appreciated. Thanks~

Shunwei

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Hi, I am a new poster here on SDN. I am currently pre-dental and have taken the DAT (20+ score on AA and PAT). Right now I am an undergrad in a university ranked around 20-25 nationally majoring in biology. I was academically dismissed a year ago because I was not doing well in my classes due to lack of motivation. I am working towards my degree right now and have a 3.1 GPA. Is it almost impossible to get admitted to a dental school if I was dismissed before? Anyone here had the same problem before? Any contribution to this question would be appreciated. Thanks~

It won't look good, but it's not something you can't overcome. Do as well as you can for the rest of your undergrad career and you should be ok. Be prepared as well to candidly discuss this issue with your interviewer and possibly essay.

Selso2109

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
When you were dismissed did they give you F's in all your courses? If so, are those F's being counted into the 3.1 that you posted? When you apply any retaken or bypassed F's will be counted into your GPA. A semester of F's could be devastating. I don't know your particular situation, so hopefully you were dismissed without any F's being assigned. Good luck.

About the Ads

swindle569

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I didn't recieve all F's in all my courses for the semester. However, I do have a couple of F's here and there (which got me into academic dismissal in the first place). all the F's I've recieved are included in my 3.1 GPA

jigabodo

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Louisville, KY
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I don't think it's going to affect your chances that much, as long as you still have somewhat of a competitve GPA and a nic upward trend.

Just be sure to explain it both in your AADSAS application as well as your personal statement.

samdds

I have faith in myself
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
It's gonna affect you in some ways. But consider the fact that you got couple F's and you still pulled off a 3.1? I think this is something. If your grades have an upward trend, you should be fine. But make sure you write a very good personal statement to explain what happened and what you learned from the dismissal. Do well on the DAT and you should be fine.

caffeinehigh

Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
You're competing with candidates that were not dismissed and have GPAs of 3.5+.... If you want to beat those people, make sure you have something that makes you distinguished from them.

In the end, its not a game, and people don't just get accepted for no reason.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.