Dismissed from Ross….

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melissa Curlee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just dismissed from Ross Vet after only two semesters. I’m devastated and I didn’t think my dreams would end so abruptly so it’s been hard to deal with that. I don’t want to give up on this.. there’s truly nothing I can think to do with my life other than being a vet. I need some advice on where to go from here, I’ve seen some posts that SGU might be an option? Really just feeling like a failure and like I’ll never bounce back from this. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was just dismissed from Ross Vet after only two semesters. I’m devastated and I didn’t think my dreams would end so abruptly so it’s been hard to deal with that. I don’t want to give up on this.. there’s truly nothing I can think to do with my life other than being a vet. I need some advice on where to go from here, I’ve seen some posts that SGU might be an option? Really just feeling like a failure and like I’ll never bounce back from this. Any advice is appreciated.
Why did they dismiss? This feeling won't last forever. You will find what works for you.

Your student handbook covers the appeals process: https://veterinary.rossu.edu/media/21086/rusvm-student-handbook.pdf

You have to be brutally honest with yourself though: were there extenuating circumstances that made it difficult for you to achieve academic success? And if they let you back in, what would you do to differently that would allow you to succeed?

If you’re not going to appeal, then oh my gosh let yourself take a break mentally for a while. Do anything else, it doesn’t have to be your forever job. You’re not a failure - you’re just at a road block. It’s up to you how to handle moving past it, and it might take some time.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was dismissed from the University of Illinois at the end of first year due to academics. I went through the appeals process and succeeded. I graduated two years ago and have been a successful practicing doctor.

Your welcome to ask questions either her or private message me.

Reactions: 3 users
Your student handbook covers the appeals process: https://veterinary.rossu.edu/media/21086/rusvm-student-handbook.pdf

You have to be brutally honest with yourself though: were there extenuating circumstances that made it difficult for you to achieve academic success? And if they let you back in, what would you do to differently that would allow you to succeed?

If you’re not going to appeal, then oh my gosh let yourself take a break mentally for a while. Do anything else, it doesn’t have to be your forever job. You’re not a failure - you’re just at a road block. It’s up to you how to handle moving past it, and it might take some time.
Retweeting this because it's all excellent advice.

OP, you should reflect on what caused your struggles that ultimately led to this outcome - in looking at the student handbook, it even includes that the appeal letter (should you choose to file one) must include "the student's views on his/her level of preparation for the failed course(s)" among other things. If you want to continue on in vet school, you'll need to ask yourself the tough questions of what happened, how you contributed to it getting over your head, and perhaps most importantly, what you'll do differently if they give you another shot at it.

You don't need to figure these things out alone. Talk to your professors whose classes you struggled in. Talk to the ones whose classes you did well in, too! Talk to your classmates; some people will undoubtedly have study strategies you didn't try. It's going to be essential that you identify your strengths and weaknesses as a student both for a successful appeal and for you to be successful moving forward.

Reactions: 2 users
I have also been dismissed from Ross with no chance of appealing. Just wanted to say you're not alone in this and if you need anybody to talk to feel free to PM me. I hate being back to square one when I was JUST in vet school.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I was dismissed from the University of Illinois at the end of first year due to academics. I went through the appeals process and succeeded. I graduated two years ago and have been a successful practicing doctor.

Your welcome to ask questions either her or private message me.
What did you state in your appeal that you feel made it successful? I am helping a person write an appeal for vet school. Thanks in advance for any guidance you may give.

I have also been dismissed from Ross with no chance of appealing. Just wanted to say you're not alone in this and if you need anybody to talk to feel free to PM me. I hate being back to square one when I was JUST in vet school.
Why didn’t you get a chance to appeal?

Did you get a chance to appeal? I am helping a person to write an appeal for Ross Vet.

What did you state in your appeal that you feel made it successful? I am helping a person write an appeal for vet school. Thanks in advance for any guidance you may give.
I was bluntly honest that I messed up. I got caught up in drama and the social aspect of school and didn't focus enough on academics. My resolution to fix it was to utilize the tutors that are offered, and then avoid the drama. At Illinois, unless you really screw up, everyone gets to repeat once though. I missed the cut off by half a percentage point. So it wasn't like I bombed a course; I missed the cut off by 4 test questions. So it was stressful at the time, but in hindsight I was likely to be offered to come back.

It begs the question, why were you dismissed. Was it an academic dismissal? Was a legal issue?.. I really can not offer any opinion or advise until I learn more.

It begs the question, why were you dismissed. Was it an academic dismissal? Was a legal issue?.. I really can not offer any opinion or advise until I learn more.
I am helping a person write an appeal based on academics. Do you have any suggestions and/or a good format for the appeal?

I am helping a person write an appeal based on academics. Do you have any suggestions and/or a good format for the appeal?
I am not a good writer, so I will write my comments as if this were you. This is standard stuff you already know. Be honest, be factual, and give them a good reason why you should not be dismissed and offer them data as to what you are doing to correct and not repeat the situation. For example if there are poor grades, what is being done to improve and maintain your grades. If this is for academic dishonesty, you need to accept responsibility for your actions and what you are doing to preclude a repeat of the situation. Apologize and be humble. I assume you may be also be presenting your appeal to representatives of the school in sort of an interview format. If that is the case, have several of your classmates or friends conduct several mock interviews. Have them be tough but fair with you to get you accustomed to what you may hear and how you will respond. Do not be angry, do not cry; maintain your composure. Be professional and after all is said and done, thank them for giving you an opportunity to address the reasons and solutions for the dismissal. People make mistakes and errors in judgement all the time, you just have to convince them there will not be a repeat. You have a shot of being "forgiven" once, but not twice. Do what you have to do. I wish you well and good luck!!

Last edited:
I am not a good writer, so I will write my comments as if this were you. This is standard stuff you already know. Be honest, be factual, and give them a good reason why you should not be dismissed and offer them data as to what you are doing to correct and not repeat the situation. For example if there are poor grades, what is being done to improve and maintain your grades. If this is for academic dishonesty, you need to accept responsibility for your actions and what you are doing to preclude a repeat of the situation. Apologize and be humble. I assume you may be also be presenting your appeal to representatives of the school in sort of an interview format. If that is the case, have several of your classmates or friends conduct several mock interviews. Have them be tough but fair with you to get you accustomed to what you may hear and how you will respond. Do not be angry, do not cry; maintain your composure. Be professional and after all is said and done, thank them for giving you an opportunity to address the reasons and solutions for the dismissal. People make mistakes and errors in judgement all the time, you just have to convince them there will not be a repeat. You have a shot of being "forgiven" once, but not twice. Do what you have to do. I wish you well and good luck!!
This is for poor grades. It is their 2nd semester in vet school. Thanks for the advice.