Disorganized first application and PS

Started by deleted876933
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi, thanks for sharing your pre-med journey and congrats on your new little one! [emoji4] I'm sure it can't be easy juggling several roles as a parent on a nontraditional pre-med route. But! I will say this. Your first app (regardless of errors) is not an unforgivable mistake. In fact, I see it as a good baseline that shows what you can improve upon. I did something similar - I applied once and it wasn't a weak application, but it certainly wasn't as strong as the application I submitted on my second cycle. I really used that year to cross off some pending things from cycle one. Here's my feedback: you did PERFECT with obtaining a really strong post-bac GPA. Your MCAT is stellar. Your biggest room for improvement is the essay. It needs to tell your story, it needs to be error free and 100% authentic. It needs to encompass your resilience as a reapplicant and must demonstrate dedication to the field of medicine. I'm happy to take a look for ya! LORs need to be from people who know you and I would say a minimum of one year knowing you is a great start. Physicians are great references to ask but don't ask a physician who doesn't truly know you - you'll only play yourself.

Ultimately, you're off to a great start and don't think for a second that your first submission will overshadow the greatness in your second!

-Lauren
 
Hi, thanks for sharing your pre-med journey and congrats on your new little one! [emoji4] I'm sure it can't be easy juggling several roles as a parent on a nontraditional pre-med route. But! I will say this. Your first app (regardless of errors) is not an unforgivable mistake. In fact, I see it as a good baseline that shows what you can improve upon. I did something similar - I applied once and it wasn't a weak application, but it certainly wasn't as strong as the application I submitted on my second cycle. I really used that year to cross off some pending things from cycle one. Here's my feedback: you did PERFECT with obtaining a really strong post-bac GPA. Your MCAT is stellar. Your biggest room for improvement is the essay. It needs to tell your story, it needs to be error free and 100% authentic. It needs to encompass your resilience as a reapplicant and must demonstrate dedication to the field of medicine. I'm happy to take a look for ya! LORs need to be from people who know you and I would say a minimum of one year knowing you is a great start. Physicians are great references to ask but don't ask a physician who doesn't truly know you - you'll only play yourself.

Ultimately, you're off to a great start and don't think for a second that your first submission will overshadow the greatness in your second!

-Lauren

Hello! Would you mind looking over my PS. I am a reapplicant as well I spent the year taking courses and improved my GPA from a 3.56 to a 3.63 and scienceGPA from a 3.39 to a 3.47. I also retook the MCAT and went from a 507 to a 515. During this time I struggled with my mother being diagnosed with Stage 3 C ovarian cancer. However, I am really struggling with putting it in my PS in a way that does not seem like I am asking for sympathy especially because my initial personal statement (that I submitted last year) talked about my mother's drug addiction as a child and how it led me to want to pursue medicine. I am also enrolled in a masters program for next year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, but I agree it's an important story to tell. I am leaving for a medical mission tomorrow morning so if you can message me your documents by this afternoon, I'll try and have some feedback for you by this evening. I can give a much more detailed response when I return in a week as well. 🙂

-Lauren
Hello! Would you mind looking over my PS. I am a reapplicant as well I spent the year taking courses and improved my GPA from a 3.56 to a 3.63 and scienceGPA from a 3.39 to a 3.47. I also retook the MCAT and went from a 507 to a 515. During this time I struggled with my mother being diagnosed with Stage 3 C ovarian cancer. However, I am really struggling with putting it in my PS in a way that does not seem like I am asking for sympathy especially because my initial personal statement (that I submitted last year) talked about my mother's drug addiction as a child and how it led me to want to pursue medicine. I am also enrolled in a masters program for next year.
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, but I agree it's an important story to tell. I am leaving for a medical mission tomorrow morning so if you can message me your documents by this afternoon, I'll try and have some feedback for you by this evening. I can give a much more detailed response when I return in a week as well. 🙂

-Lauren
Thank you! I think I saw this message too late but if I am still working on it a week from now I will definitely send it to you!