Dispensing error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a question. In the state of Florida will you be disciplined for minor errors like giving out a SR when it is Supposed to be XL. or another one I heard about was dispensing ophthalmic drops instead of otic of the same formulation. Or do these errors have to be more severe to be disciplined.

Also for independent pharmacies are there any hardware/software available for barcode matching.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of anyone being disciplined for minor errors (or even necessarily for major errors)....unless there is a pattern. Generally, if someone complains to the board, the board will come out and investigate, and unless there is a pattern of errors or other problems in the pharmacy, just say "be more careful". Perhaps the procedure is different in other states?

You can read about pharmacists being disciplined for making errors in the board of pharmacy minutes. Here is the one for ohio for June.
http://www.pharmacy.ohio.gov/Documents/Pubs/Minutes/201406 - Minutes (Jun 2014).pdf

Some mistakes that resulted in punishment (fines and assigning CE requirements) included dispensing norco 5mg instead of norvasc 5mg. Dispensing lamictal 200mg instead of topamax 200mg.

patient was prescribed dexamethasone 2mg with directions that read: “3 PO FOR 3 DAYS, 2 PO FOR 3 DAYS, 1 PO FOR 3 DAYS.” After speaking with a Medical Assistant at the prescriber’s office about the frequency of dosing and substituting dexamethasone 1mg for dexamethasone 2mg Amanda C. Barnett proceeded to dispense dexamethasone 1mg with directions that read: “6 TABS 3 TIMES DAILY X3 DAYS 4 TABS 3 TIMES DAILY X3 DAYS, 2 TABS 3 TIMES DAILY X3 DAYS.” Such dosing tripled the dose and quantity dispensed to the patient, the patient ingested the medication, and was subsequently harmed.

You can read about pharmacists being disciplined for making errors in the board of pharmacy minutes. Here is the one for ohio for June.
http://www.pharmacy.ohio.gov/Documents/Pubs/Minutes/201406 - Minutes (Jun 2014).pdf

Some mistakes that resulted in punishment (fines and assigning CE requirements) included dispensing norco 5mg instead of norvasc 5mg. Dispensing lamictal 200mg instead of topamax 200mg.

patient was prescribed dexamethasone 2mg with directions that read: “3 PO FOR 3 DAYS, 2 PO FOR 3 DAYS, 1 PO FOR 3 DAYS.” After speaking with a Medical Assistant at the prescriber’s office about the frequency of dosing and substituting dexamethasone 1mg for dexamethasone 2mg Amanda C. Barnett proceeded to dispense dexamethasone 1mg with directions that read: “6 TABS 3 TIMES DAILY X3 DAYS 4 TABS 3 TIMES DAILY X3 DAYS, 2 TABS 3 TIMES DAILY X3 DAYS.” Such dosing tripled the dose and quantity dispensed to the patient, the patient ingested the medication, and was subsequently harmed.

I looked at Florida's meeting minutes and they don't really specify what the actual error was they just say there was a dispensing error.