You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dispensing nitro stat inpatient
Started by PENVK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For those who work in the hospital. Do you dispense the whole bottle if 25 nitro stat as a single unit dose? If pt only need one tablet do you waste the remaining tabs?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Whole bottle. Nitro is dirt cheap.
W hole bottle. Put some in Pyxis.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have nitro-stat as floorstock.
Question: if packaging is required, what do you use?
We have been packaging a couple of nitro tablets in tin foil for pts to keep with them in their cells. I work in a jail and we can't let the inmates have glass containers with them, even teeny tiny ones.
Recently, we ran out of tin foil and I caught the nurses putting nitro tablets into small paper envelopes. At least most of our chest pain guys are faking, but we do get legitimate angina pts.
We have been packaging a couple of nitro tablets in tin foil for pts to keep with them in their cells. I work in a jail and we can't let the inmates have glass containers with them, even teeny tiny ones.
Recently, we ran out of tin foil and I caught the nurses putting nitro tablets into small paper envelopes. At least most of our chest pain guys are faking, but we do get legitimate angina pts.
What's the motive there? Gets them out of the cell for a while? Hoping that they get narcs for pain?At least most of our chest pain guys are faking
Question: if packaging is required, what do you use?
We have been packaging a couple of nitro tablets in tin foil for pts to keep with them in their cells. I work in a jail and we can't let the inmates have glass containers with them, even teeny tiny ones.
Recently, we ran out of tin foil and I caught the nurses putting nitro tablets into small paper envelopes. At least most of our chest pain guys are faking, but we do get legitimate angina pts.
I really don't see how tin foil or a paper envelope is going to help, but obviously I don't have a better suggestion.

What's the motive there? Gets them out of the cell for a while? Hoping that they get narcs for pain?
Attention-seeking, maybe drug-seeking, getting a trip to the medical unit where the nurses will fuss over them, maybe a trip to the hospital if they're convincing enough.
I've decided we're going with bottles of nitro spray on the unit, kept with the corrections officers so legit angina guys can access readily (we have a similar protocol for inhalers, which they can't keep on their person because of the metal cans). The nitro spray is more expensive, but if somebody dies and there's an inquest, it doesn't look good if it comes out that we were dispensing nitro tablets in this half-arsed and unsafe way.
Question: if packaging is required, what do you use?
We have been packaging a couple of nitro tablets in tin foil for pts to keep with them in their cells. I work in a jail and we can't let the inmates have glass containers with them, even teeny tiny ones.
Recently, we ran out of tin foil and I caught the nurses putting nitro tablets into small paper envelopes. At least most of our chest pain guys are faking, but we do get legitimate angina pts.
😱
Any setting where 'safety' is an issue i.e. using Nitro to hurt yourself or another can happen so easily.
I cannot believe you haven't had any attacks via poisoning people with massive doses of Nitro or overdosing issues. I would worry less giving a few narcotics tabs (never on regular basis of course), before I gave such a massively reactive med to someone in a 'cell'.
Even if only dosing a couple nitro at a time, one could easily stockpile, drop into someone's drink, or crush into food, a number of ways, etc., and take a foe out, one with heart issues or without.
This would surely be considered attempted murder unless achieved.
Have you really had no incidents with such poisonings or OD attempts, etc.? I am sincerely curious as to how this is allowed and how it has gone one without incident...TIA for any response regarding any incidents.
Shocked,
Ip Man
(Physician/Heart Patient (who knows what it's like to take .4 of nitrostat - much less a handful unknowingly)).
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans". - J. Lennon
I really don't see how tin foil or a paper envelope is going to help, but obviously I don't have a better suggestion.![]()
I still to this day will sometimes write 'alot' only to have to correct myself afterward.
I do the same with the word 'seen' instead of 'saw'.
I cannot even stand to hear someone say, "I seenthat guy over there hit that car...".
And while we are on grammar due to your post, my usage of the word 'that', also a word which is most times, superfluous and useless in 99.9% of the time it is used. People use it far too often. It's the 'ummm' of written text. Heh.
General rule, just write or say the sentence out loud with and without 'that' and you will clearly see how it doesn't fit or does. It's all about context.
Thanks for allowing me to scratch my itch on grammar today.
Ip Man
"High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home, of all these weird creatures or who lock-up their spirits, drill holes in themselves and live for their secrets." - Mr. Thom Yorke of Radiohead
Last edited:
I cannot believe you haven't had any attacks via poisoning people with massive doses of Nitro or overdosing issues. I would worry less giving a few narcotics tabs (never on regular basis of course), before I gave such a massively reactive med to someone in a 'cell'.
Oral absorption of nitro is pretty low. Much, much less than SL. That is why oral nitro is very seldom used, and when it is the dosing is MUCH higher than SL dosing. I suppose it would be theoretically possible to overdose taking SL nitro, PO, this would not be that easy to do (especially in a jail environment when the turnover rate is much higher than in a prison.)
😱
I cannot believe you haven't had any attacks via poisoning people with massive doses of Nitro or overdosing issues. I would worry less giving a few narcotics tabs (never on regular basis of course), before I gave such a massively reactive med to someone in a 'cell'.
Even if only dosing a couple nitro at a time, one could easily stockpile, drop into someone's drink, or crush into food, a number of ways, etc., and take a foe out, one with heart issues or without.
This would surely be considered attempted murder unless achieved.
Have you really had no incidents with such poisonings or OD attempts, etc.? I am sincerely curious as to how this is allowed and how it has gone one without incident...TIA for any response regarding any incidents.
Shocked,
Ip Man
(Physician/Heart Patient (who knows what it's like to take .4 of nitrostat - much less a handful unknowingly)).
They're not allowed glass bottles, so if they tried stockpiling, the pills would deteriorate to homeopathic potency in short order.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 23
- Views
- 4K