Disruptive Professional Student Pharmacist, positive for marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

millenialpharmstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been accused of being a disruptive student professional?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In regards to your first question, I would personally recommend not doing this. Just let it go. Doing so will just make you appear even more "disruptive" or however your school chooses to label you. I will also give you some advice, there are a lot of things you can do wrong as a pharmacist and get away with but as someone who is charged with the ethical use and safeguarding of drugs, it is in your best interest to stay far, far away from any sort of illegal drug use.

I'm also a little confused why you would tell the school that you smoke marijuana socially if you only tested positive due to second-hand smoke (that seems to be what you implied above, correct me if I'm wrong).

Reactions: 1 user
For question #2, I haven't heard of a pharmacy program that will take anyone into a year other than P1. Even MCPHS Boston and Worcester campus transfers have to start over.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. sounds like you need to get a new roommate
2. stay away from the weed, even if it is not you that smokes it.
3. study like a fiend if they decide to give you a 2nd chance.

I will tell you this: It will be way more difficult to get a job in the future if you are required to inform them of your PRN contract. If you are in your rotation year you still have a chance, but how easy does that PRN contract go away?

This sounds like the type of over-the-top nonsense they used to have at WVU. I don't use any drugs or alcohol, but it does sort of amuse me that they get up in arms over marijuana use while half of the students and faculty are borderline alcoholics. As scientists, they must really feel the cognitive dissonance on that one.

In regards to your first question, I would personally recommend not doing this. Just let it go. Doing so will just make you appear even more "disruptive" or however your school chooses to label you. I will also give you some advice, there are a lot of things you can do wrong as a pharmacist and get away with but as someone who is charged with the ethical use and safeguarding of drugs, it is in your best interest to stay far, far away from any sort of illegal drug use.

I'm also a little confused why you would tell the school that you smoke marijuana socially if you only tested positive due to second-hand smoke (that seems to be what you implied above, correct me if I'm wrong).

---

Last edited:
I moved out almost immediately after getting news of the results. Now I live with a resident physician who is clean as a whistle. I told the school this because I didn't want to reveal that I thought it could be second hand smoke from my roommate (read last paragraph). I guess 'socially' came to mind because people would usually come over and smoke with her, or I would hang out in her room and we'd study together.

Also, when I went to get confirmatory testing for the 'positive' sample, they told me that they no longer had my sample available. What if it was a false positive?
If it was a screen and not gas chromatography, it means nothing.

I'm confused. What exactly did you put in the email that landed you on the "disruptive" list in the first place? If you simply appealed to the dean on behalf of your roommate it seems odd that an email would be enough to label you as such.