Distance Learning/Online Physics w/ lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if any of you guys took physics (with lab) as an online or distance learning course to fufill your pre-req's for med school? I was looking at a class offered through the SUNY learning network which has take home labs and proctored exams. The only ****ty thing is that it is offered through a Community College and I'm aware some med schools don't like/accept comm college classes. My situation is kind of crappy as my american college only offers calculus physics (never took calc before and don't really want to not that good with math) and the professor is pretty bad. I'm doing a study abroad next year and want to do some classes online - I'm looking at biochem through the UC - Berkeley extension or the University of New Englans COM and a physics class. Let me know if any of you had experience with this. I don't want to take this physics class and then end up with it not being accepted by med schools! Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Some med schools turn up their nose a bit at community college classes, but I wouldn't worry about it if you just take one or two. But if you're taking a physics class at a community college while enrolled in a four year college that offers calculus physics, I think they'll know exactly what's going on and it won't look good.

Also do not take online classes for prereqs. Many med schools flat out will not accept them. You'll probably find some med schools that are fine with it, but you'll really be limiting yourself. Biochem online is fine as it's not a prereq for most med schools.

Well I don't think it would really count against you to take it at a community college. What might become a problem however is if you take your math heavy courses(Physics) at a community college and also have no background in mathematics at your university. Thats a very noticeable weakness.

Members don't see this ad :)
any takers? Anyone take algebra physics from the colorado college consortium (ccc) or know of people who did? I really would like to get my physics out of the way! Or anyone take an online physics course from any other college? Thanks

JEWmongous said:
Or anyone take an online physics course from any other college?
Better phrased is to ask if anyone took an online physics prereq and was still accepted to med schools. I don't know the break down, but many med schools will not accept the class. And therefore the applicant.

notdeadyet said:
Better phrased is to ask if anyone took an online physics prereq and was still accepted to med schools. I don't know the break down, but many med schools will not accept the class. And therefore the applicant.

The online courses appear the same as regular courses on your transcript. It doesn't say whether it was online or not. You still have to study and do the tests, except that you study independently.

How would med school find out and not accept the class or the applicant? However, there's a disadvantage taking these prereq courses online at community colleges, you wouldn't be able to learn as much and become prepared for the MCAT.

Papillon11 said:
The online courses appear the same as regular courses on your transcript. It doesn't say whether it was online or not.
Woah. Careful there. This is not universally true. Some colleges have a different nomenclature on the transcript for classes offered via the distance, independent study, or the Internet.

Papillon11 said:
You still have to study and do the tests, except that you study independently.
I'm not slamming distance learning. I used to work on creating distance courseware. I'm just cautioning the OP about the fact that many med schools will not accept it for prereqs. That can be a killer.

Papillon11 said:
How would med school find out and not accept the class or the applicant?
Oh, that's a whole different kettle of fish. It's like the difference between "Is cheating wrong?" and "How will I get caught?" Maybe he'd get away with it, but if he did find himself in a position where he was asked or if they knew, it could cost him medical school acceptances. Not acceptable for many of us.

Papillon11 said:
However, there's a disadvantage taking these prereq courses online at community colleges, you wouldn't be able to learn as much and become prepared for the MCAT.
Not all colleges (or classes) are created equal. I've taken JC classes that were harder than some of the classes I took at UC. I wouldn't sweat that one too much.