Distractions during the waiting ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, don't watch this. It's so shockingly depressing that I was stunned afterward and had trouble uncurling myself from a ball on my bed.

Happier documentaries/documentary-style shows on Netflix are Jiro Dreams of Sushi, The Kings of Pastry, Mind of a Chef (I like food, obviously), Encounters at the End of the World and No Reservations. Was going to watch Blackfish, heard it was about mistreatment of killer whales and decided I didn't want to have such strong feels on a Friday night. I guess that means I SHOULD watch it.
If you like food you should watch "Somm", it's about 4 guys trying to become master sommeliers. Pretty interesting

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
We've got tv shows, books, and videogames, but no comic books. Allow me to rectify that with some suggestions

The Amory Wars (and pretty much everything published by Evil Ink).

#OneAmongTheFence

I've binge-watched the following and loved them all:

House of Cards
An Idiot Abroad
Bates Motel
Lost
Game of Thrones
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
The Misfits
Archer
The League

Members don't see this ad :)
Greys anatomy
Prison break
The walking dead
Friday night lights

Greys anatomy
Prison break
The walking dead
Friday night lights

I'm surprised this is the first time FNL has come up. I watched it a few years ago and really like it.

Reactions: 1 users
Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, Game of Thrones, Sherlock

I binge watched all of these with no regret.

How is this?
I thought it was surprisingly good! It's essentially about how Norman Bates starts to lose it as a teenager, and about his very odd relationship with his mother. Quite a bit of suspense, and interesting family/community dynamics going on. Less gore than I expected...

Reactions: 1 user
Game Of Thrones comes back right around finals week here.

In between freaking out about season four, watching season four, and talking about season four to friends/family/the internet/classmates/my dog/homeless people downtown as it unfolds...nothing will get done.

Fire and Blood.

Breaking Bad & Scrubs :p

House of cards currently

Lost was an amazing series, easily my favorite show to date

Members don't see this ad :)
Drama:
House of cards
Scandal
Orange is the new black
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Sons of Anarchy
Burn Notice
Sherlock
The killing
Mad men
That one bbc show with Idris Elba

Comedy:
Arrested Development
Archer
The daily show
The colbert report
Alpha House
Workaholics

Reality:
Ru Pauls Drag Race
Boston Med

Sci Fi:
Dr. Who
Firefly
Serenity
Torch wood
Alphas

Can we be best friends? :)

Good to know I'm not just overly emotional! :thumbup:
How could you not have the reaction that we did to that documentary? That is my real question! I'll have to check Abductions from Eden out as well.

I bawled with Dear Zachary. I think it was named one of the top documentaries that you must watch once and then never watch again. I don't regret watching it, but yeah, I'm never watching it again.

Abduction of Eden isn't sad as much as it is really freaking scary that this is going on in the United States.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi is next on my list.

I can't get over her fishiness. It's mesmerizing. She's relying on that body
I love the insult comic too.

YESSSSSS. Just started season 2 of HoC. It's taking all my willpower not to toss aside First Aid and binge watch the entire season.

Sci/Fi: Doctor Who (duhh), Firefly
Horror(ish?)/Thriller: Cabin in the Woods, Walking Dead, Dexter
Funny: Scrubs, Parks and Rec, Portlandia
Other: Sherlock, LOST

Recently I've been into documentaries/"based on true story" things. A couple good ones (although quite sad) are Abduction of Eden (true story about human trafficking in the US) and Dear Zachary (incredibly sad documentary about a doctor who murders her much-younger ex-boyfriend, also a physician...there's more to the story but I'll leave you to watch it or Wikipedia it)
SHERLOCKKKK <3 <3

If there's literally nothing else on and I've caught up on all my shows, I love killing time (while I eat takeout alone) with reality TV like house hunters, property brothers, or dog whisperer. Pitbulls and Parolees is great too, some really inspirational stuff.

Read the books you spark/cliffsnoted in high school

Does anyone know when Sherlock season 3 will be on Netflix?

For now I'm watching Gundam 00.

gun00_jpg_650x10000_q85.jpg

<<< For all of you (none of you) wondering where my avatar is from, it is Johan Liebert from the show Monster.
So it's not on netflix but it is on watchcartoonsonline.com but Monster is a great show.

It's about this neurosurgeon, Kenzo Tenma, living in Germany who saves the lives of these two twins whose parents were murdered in their home. One of the twins turns out to be *spoilers but you find this out in like episode three* an enormous psychopath (cough antichrist cough) and his career is essentially ruined because of it. He then spends the rest of the show trying to track down and stop Johan from murdering everyone ever. Brilliant show. 74 episodes so it's kind of long.

I also recommend:

Cowboy Bebop (Best anime, no it's not debatable) - 24 episodes , all of them glorious

Trigun (26 episodes, I want to say?)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Watch the original show or watch the three remake movies that just retold the whole show, IMO, the movies don't quite capture the same atmosphere the show did for me but to each their own. 20 something episodes too.)

Those three anime are about as "bread and butter" as universally critically acclaimed anime get and I think everyone can enjoy them, not just anime fans.

20 minutes an episode, basically, so they are super bingeable.
Oh dear, I read that manga when I was like in middle school/ high school. Very good one. Never know that they make a show out of it. Will check it out soon. thanks

Does anyone know when Sherlock season 3 will be on Netflix?

For now I'm watching Gundam 00.
You can watch it now on PBS Masterpiece, with some ads, but still better than waiting for it to be on Netflix.

Definitely watch NGE, but do it like this:

Edit 2: Oh, and all of these works (except the Rebuilds) have been out of print for about 6 years, so...it's not gonna be as simple as heading to Amazon and ordering the DVD's, unless you want to drop several hundred dollars on used or questionably new/bootleg sets. Just a heads up...

I don't understand. Why don't they just continue making the DVD?

I don't understand. Why don't they just continue making the DVD?

This show has a really controversial history.

The 26 episode series aired only to completely run out of funding about 15 episodes in (and it shows). Then, suddenly, it became super popular. The second controversy arose around episodes 25/26 which had basically 0 budget. They were basically a series of loosely related images under a voiceover with about 2 minutes of "real animation" at the end of 26. People were predictably pissed even though everyone knew the money had to run out. The director, Hideaki Anno, wanted to give his fans what they wanted - a real ending (also he is probably supremely in love with himself). So he made "End of Evangelion": A retelling of episodes 25/26 in full, explicit, but still psychologically challenging animation that spans about 1 hour or something that like. It's been a while. Any old stuff by Gainax, Anno's studio, is basically out of print because of similar funding battles and the attempt to rebuild the Eva series (the current Rebuild films..etc). Yah it's just a huge mess of anime history.

I just finished King of Queens and I am watching The Practice, although I was on a Sopranos kick for some time.

Sons of Anarchy
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
Dexter (Up to Season 3)
TED talks

All the previously listed shows are watch worthy but I can't believe no one said, 'suits' that runs on USA. It's not medically related but the writers are genius and is pretty good. Also, try watching 'The Misfits,' it's a British show about a bunch of juvenile delinquents that possess super powers after a freak storm and they encounter some odd scenarios after the storm. You'll not be disappointed!

Moar Comics (there can't possibly be like only 2 of us that are into them here :shifty: )

Saga - the latest sci-fi masterpiece by Brian K Vaughn that tells the story of two lovers from different races that happen to be involved in a global war. Speaking of Vaughn

Y: The Last Man - The other sci-fi suspense story from Vaughn about what happens in a world where everything with a Y-chromosome dies, with the exception of one man and his pet Capuchin monkey. Excellent series in 10 volumes

I Kill Giants - The heartbreaking story of a little girl that battles monsters and giants as a way to escape the very real events going on in her life. Its a limited series so it won't require a huge time investment, but maybe some tissues :cryi:

The Massive - A dystopian sci-fi ongoing comic about a crew of ex-mercenaries, scientists, students, and criminals and their journey in a world devastated by a global cataclysm.

Homeland !!!! Best series. It was painful to have to wait. I liked it even better than HoC. Is Call the Midwife back on tv or just on Netflix?

Recently I've been into documentaries/"based on true story" things. A couple good ones (although quite sad) are Abduction of Eden (true story about human trafficking in the US) and Dear Zachary (incredibly sad documentary about a doctor who murders her much-younger ex-boyfriend, also a physician...there's more to the story but I'll leave you to watch it or Wikipedia it)

Just wanted to say that I've never cried so hard while watching anything in my life as I did when I watched Dear Zachary. :( This documentary is incredibly well-done, and the story is absolutely heartbreaking.

Oh, don't watch this. It's so shockingly depressing that I was stunned afterward and had trouble uncurling myself from a ball on my bed.

I was very intrigued after seeing you guys post about this documentary and...

oh.my.god.
I'm not ok right now :cryi:

Why, True Detective? Why???!!!

YESSSSSS. Just started season 2 of HoC. It's taking all my willpower not to toss aside First Aid and binge watch the entire season.

Sci/Fi: Doctor Who (duhh), Firefly
Horror(ish?)/Thriller: Cabin in the Woods, Walking Dead, Dexter
Funny: Scrubs, Parks and Rec, Portlandia
Other: Sherlock, LOST

Thanks to you and my wife being on vacation for a week, I have watched 22 episodes of Dexter. It's really embarrassing, because 1. I had so many things I wanted to do while she was gone (like fill in all the holes in the backyard that my dog has been digging up) and 2. that's 18 hours of watching TV, but I have been completely obsessed with this show. It's like my dark passenger...HA! Ok. I have to finish this episode...plus there are 74 more to go...

Thanks to you and my wife being on vacation for a week, I have watched 22 episodes of Dexter. It's really embarrassing, because 1. I had so many things I wanted to do while she was gone (like fill in all the holes in the backyard that my dog has been digging up) and 2. that's 18 hours of watching TV, but I have been completely obsessed with this show. It's like my dark passenger...HA! Ok. I have to finish this episode...plus there are 74 more to go...
Meh. Most people binge watch shows these days.

I'm sorta an anime-freak :p

One Piece
Bleach
Naruto (Shippuden)
Full Metal Alchemist (+Brotherhood)
Hunter x Hunter
Fairy Tale
Code Geass
Vampire Knight

I also really enjoy (among others already mentioned)

Once Upon A Time
True Life
The Bachelor