Distractions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chasingadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am running out of ways to keep my mind off this waiting game. I was thinking it might be fun (and a distraction in and of itself) to hear what everyone is doing to get through.....

Members don't see this ad.

I am running out of ways to keep my mind off this waiting game. I was thinking it might be fun (and a distraction in and of itself) to hear what everyone is doing to get through.....

Besides preparing for the possibility of applying again next year, reading up on POIs research, trying to find a position in a lab, and oh yeah, doing that thing that pays my bills (work, I think its called?)... I've been watching the Olympics!! :D Gotta love that ice skating! What have you been doing?

Besides preparing for the possibility of applying again next year, reading up on POIs research, trying to find a position in a lab, and oh yeah, doing that thing that pays my bills (work, I think its called?)... I've been watching the Olympics!! :D Gotta love that ice skating! What have you been doing?

Much of the same. That, and seeing friends I missed while applying. Apparently everyone else is cool as a cucumber....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm at work right now. Obsessively stalking this forum. I did a budget for each of the places that I've been interviewed. Including stipend and craigslist informed research about housing costs. I also updated my budget for if I DIDNT get in to a program. (My current budget only runs through the end of my lease, as I won't know how much I will pay for housing after that time.) Budgeting is mostly how I pass my time. I've watched 3 disks of lost since coming home from my last interview. Sleeping. Playing with my cat. Ignoring all the homework I need to do... :)

Oh, if I don't get into grad school, we'll have a lot more money and can get married this year instead of later and also buy a house... so I browse for houses and dresses. :)

I went snowboarding this weekend and ice skating a few weeks ago. Exercising is a good way to reduce stress and keep your mind off of things for a few hours. It also keeps you away from the internet... except that I have it on my phone. Playing with the dog is always nice too. Except when I take him for a walk and ask him which city he would like to live in the most. Hahaha. Working just reminds me how much I hate my non-psych job and need to get an RA position if I don't get accepted. I find that looking at housing in the area of my schools just gets my hopes up too much, but I do find myself browsing craigslist and day-dreaming. Seems like I try very hard to not think about it, but to no avail.

I went snowboarding this weekend and ice skating a few weeks ago. Exercising is a good way to reduce stress and keep your mind off of things for a few hours. It also keeps you away from the internet... except that I have it on my phone. Playing with the dog is always nice too. Except when I take him for a walk and ask him which city he would like to live in the most. Hahaha. Working just reminds me how much I hate my non-psych job and need to get an RA position if I don't get accepted. I find that looking at housing in the area of my schools just gets my hopes up too much, but I do find myself browsing craigslist and day-dreaming. Seems like I try very hard to not think about it, but to no avail.

Ditto. I'm desperately trying to find an RA position.

Yeah, I'm at work right now. Obsessively stalking this forum. I did a budget for each of the places that I've been interviewed. Including stipend and craigslist informed research about housing costs. I also updated my budget for if I DIDNT get in to a program. (My current budget only runs through the end of my lease, as I won't know how much I will pay for housing after that time.) Budgeting is mostly how I pass my time. I've watched 3 disks of lost since coming home from my last interview. Sleeping. Playing with my cat. Ignoring all the homework I need to do... :)

Haha, I spend time budgeting too! I <3 Excel! :) And congrats on your upcoming wedding (whether its sooner or later)!

My vice has been work, and going skiing frequently...it's not very helpful. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do if I don't get in anywhere. I'm also still prepping for my last interview, and of course stalking this forum and thegradcafe.com. I need something better to do :-\ Maybe I'll get another dog :laugh:

Obsessively refreshing this page! This is so not healthy! :) I'm in desperate need of a paid research job. Any suggestions?

Good luck to you all!

Obsessively refreshing this page! This is so not healthy! :) I'm in desperate need of a paid research job. Any suggestions?

Good luck to you all!

I want one too! I *HATE* my current job, but it pays the bills :-\

Yeah, I have a season pass for skiing, but I work so damn much that I never get to go. Oh well. Gotta save money in case I end up on a fixed income (read: ****ty stipend!) Not that I'm complaining at all. Lol! I'm also looking at real-estate here, just in case. I LOVE to live in that fantasy world. I've still got one more interview, so I SHOULD be reading her publications... I've essentially been pretending that homework doesn't exist... Good thing I work well underpressure. I am REALLY going to miss the opportunity to hit the slopes (if I get accepted somewhere.)

What factors are going to influence your decision if you get multiple offers? My mother and my father in law want me to choose school x (better region, less crime). I haven't interviewed at the other school, so I haven't had the opportunity to fall in love with it yet. But I'm trying to figure out whether I will take their opinions into consideration. I prefer school y because it's closer to my son, but school x is closer to my parents. Both are far from my in-laws and friends. Stipend at school y is higher, but cost of living is higher... Etc, etc. I REALLY enjoyed my time at school x though... hmmmmm. (This is my hypothetical dream world, in which I receive 2 offers. haha)

Going on interviews... seriously, I haven't been the same place for more than 5 days since mid-January!

When I get back, I'm going to have to be working like mad to finish up my practicum hours, BA qualifying exam, Americorps hours, and theses!