distribution from 529 for USMLE Step exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

need_some_coffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
I was wondering if anyone has used a distribution from their 529 account to cover the cost of the USMLE Steps 1 and 2? I have asked my school's financial aid dept, and called the 529 customer service, and no one can say one way or another.
The IRS Pub 970 says distributions can be for: "The following expenses must be required for enrollment or attendance of a Designated beneficiary at an eligible educational institution.
a. Tuition and fees.
b. Books, supplies, and equipment"

By my logic, the Step 1 exam, for example, is required before I proceed to my M3 year, so it is a fee that is required for enrollment (even though it is not paid to my school). Am I just talking myself into what I want to believe?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that you can do that. One of my classmates years ago did that for her USMLE. The caveat was just that you should definitely keep a good record of where the money went in case you are asked. I believe that you receive a 1099-T every time you withdraw from a 529.

Standard disclaimer for these comments: Not a tax authority, accountant, or financial professional. ;-)

Thank you for the reply. I am going to go ahead and try, and keep excellent records. I'll reply back if I run into any snags, so future students know, too!

Reactions: 1 user