@%#&*!$ Distribution Requirements!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony1853

Career Switcher!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now being hit by something I didn't realized earlier on...that each school will have its own distribution requirements (liberal arts requirements) necessary to earn the BS from that school...they can differ wildly!

Example: at LIU, the professional phase prereqs are not a prob...it is the liberal arts requirements! To get my PA BS there, I would need to take:

-a 200 level philosophy course (you need one year of philosophy in total);
-TWO english lit courses (the one year of english comp and the one lit course I do have WILL not transfer over);
-another history course;
-a sociology course;
-a speech course.

I am about 90% done with the liberal arts requirements for a BS degree at the college I am taking the prereqs at...if I had to take the courses to satisfy LIU's liberal arts requirements, I would need at least an ADDITIONAL TWO SEMESTERS!

The point here is that since it varies, what the heck am I gonna have to do: hang around a FULL YEAR longer to stuff myself with more liberal arts courses so that I can cover the requirements of as many pgms as possible!?!?!?!?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

tony1853 said:
I am now being hit by something I didn't realized earlier on...that each school will have its own distribution requirements (liberal arts requirements) necessary to earn the BS from that school...they can differ wildly!

Example: at LIU, the professional phase prereqs are not a prob...it is the liberal arts requirements! To get my PA BS there, I would need to take:

-a 200 level philosophy course (you need one year of philosophy in total);
-TWO english lit courses (the one year of english comp and the one lit course I do have WILL not transfer over);
-another history course;
-a sociology course;
-a speech course.

I am about 90% done with the liberal arts requirements for a BS degree at the college I am taking the prereqs at...if I had to take the courses to satisfy LIU's liberal arts requirements, I would need at least an ADDITIONAL TWO SEMESTERS!

The point here is that since it varies, what the heck am I gonna have to do: hang around a FULL YEAR longer to stuff myself with more liberal arts courses so that I can cover the requirements of as many pgms as possible!?!?!?!?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :mad:

I think I may have a partial solution for you. The CLEP exam. CLEP is the college level exam program (I think that what it stands for anyway), they are designed to give you college credit. When I applied to my program I needed a sociology course or something, so I did one of these CLEP exams and satisfied the requirement. See if your school will accept a CLEP exam in place of an entire course. If your school has more than one PA class per year, you might be able to save yourself a semester and get into the next class. Best of Luck.

By the way I saw in another one of your posts that you want to apply to Touro. Touro will take CLEP credit. Give them a call and see what you might need to take. I don't think they need speech class!

Thanks for the tip. I am going to take a CLEP exam to cover psych100...

What really bothers me is that the PA program pages for each school have not given you a clue that you need to concern yourself with that school's specific distribution requirements to earn the degree. While I have not yet heard back from Touro about this, here is what you find on their PA program section:

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE

Graduates of the program are awarded a degree of Bachelor of Science in Physician Assistant Studies.

Admission Requirements

A completed and signed Program application
Application Fee
Typed Personal Statement
3 Letters of Recommendation (one must be from a Physician Assistant)
Successful completion of 60 transferable semester credits (to include the prerequisite courses listed below - Grades of C or better are required) in general liberal arts and sciences at an accredited college or university or its equivalent.
Fulfillment of the above requirements is necessary in order to be considered for admission to the Program. No advanced level courses or courses geared toward a specific degree are transferable.

Specific course prerequisites include:

8 credits General Biology (with labs)
8 credits General Chemistry (with labs)
8 add’l credits Upper Level Sciences (with labs), such as Organic Chemistry, Microbiology or Biochemistry, etc.
6 credits Behavioral Sciences (Psychology and/or Sociology)
6 credits English (of which one course must be composition)
6 credits Humanities
3 credits Mathematics (pre-calculus, calculus, algebra or, preferably, statistics given by the Math Department)
15 additional credits in liberal arts and sciences in order to meet the 60-credit requirement.

Note that it just says 60 credits...and the section immediately above just says "15 additional credits in liberal arts..."

Hopefully I will get a favorable response!!!!

But please not that LIU's page makes no mention of its distribution requirements!!!!

niko327 said:
I think I may have a partial solution for you. The CLEP exam. CLEP is the college level exam program (I think that what it stands for anyway), they are designed to give you college credit. When I applied to my program I needed a sociology course or something, so I did one of these CLEP exams and satisfied the requirement. See if your school will accept a CLEP exam in place of an entire course. If your school has more than one PA class per year, you might be able to save yourself a semester and get into the next class. Best of Luck.

By the way I saw in another one of your posts that you want to apply to Touro. Touro will take CLEP credit. Give them a call and see what you might need to take. I don't think they need speech class!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Touro take out of state applicants? Are they only offering BS degrees and no Masters? Thanx

My understanding is that they do take out of state applicants, and they offer their PA degree is a BS. They do offer advanced degrees in other disciplines.

Ms. Shaikh said:
Does Touro take out of state applicants? Are they only offering BS degrees and no Masters? Thanx