sotired

sotired
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm thinking that expending energy going over kaplan full lengths (ESPECIALLY ps) is kind of a waste of time right now, and i feel as though focusing strictly on aamc's might be of more benefit. i plan on taking all the aamcs ( i have four left ) and going over the stuff i got wrong and my weaknesses hardcore in between taking the tests. i've been doing that so far, and i've been going up in my aamc scores.

i'm still going to take the kaplan saturday full lengths, just to keep getting acclimated to the testing environment etc...

does anyone feel like there are other aspects of kaplan that still might be helpful?

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did that about 3-4 weeks ago after FL 3.
The scores were frustrating me being 3-4 points lower than AAMC.

lala83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i haven't bought any aamc tests but now i feel like i should've because i keep hearing exactly what you're saying...that kaplan tests are just harder than the real thing.

About the Ads

redrabbit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
lala83 said:
i haven't bought any aamc tests but now i feel like i should've because i keep hearing exactly what you're saying...that kaplan tests are just harder than the real thing.
You can ask Kaplan for the AAMC test during the full-lengths. Don't take the Kaplan FL... its just makes me depressed

OP
S

sotired

sotired
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i didn't know you ask kaplan to do that! how far ahead of time do you have to request that? thanks guys

redrabbit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
sotired said:
i didn't know you ask kaplan to do that! how far ahead of time do you have to request that? thanks guys
just a day or so ahead of time. Just call your office and ask if its too late

EBI831

legend in the making
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Chi-town royalty
Status
Medical Student
i'm sticking with kaplan and aamc. kaplan to get the hard stuff down and know that no matter what the mcat hits me with the chances are i've been hit in that spot before and i can take it better the second tme around. i'm using aamc tests to get a feel for exactly how the test is. lots of people rock the MCAT with just kaplan alone so i'm sure kaplan is good enough to yield results.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
gujuDoc said:
So you think I shouldn't bother with any more Kaplan full lengths. I've been struggling to figure out whether i should do a few more and then finish doing AAMC 7, 8, and 9 or whether I should not bother with them at all. I am thinking about doing 2 or 3 more Kaplan tests.
Depends on your burn out level, if you have timing down, how moody you get with your scores.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
BrettBatchelor said:
Depends on your burn out level, if you have timing down, how moody you get with your scores.
Kaplan is NOTHING like AAMC in my opinion. The style of thinking is different. Kaplan is way more in depth as well. Which makes it useful for understanding material thoroughly... As far as getting used to moving through passages, and working the test. AAMC is better.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Kikaku21 said:
Kaplan is NOTHING like AAMC in my opinion. The style of thinking is different. Kaplan is way more in depth as well. Which makes it useful for understanding material thoroughly... As far as getting used to moving through passages, and working the test. AAMC is better.
See thats what I feel about both EK and Kaplan. Their materials are created to match their methods. Detail heavy in Kaplan, Main Idea heavy in EK. The AAMC are a mix of both.

munnabhai

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I've heard a lot that the Kaplan PS is harder than the AAMC ones, but dont the curves adjust for that? My PS has been pretty consistent over both the AAMC and Kaplan tests. :confused:
Its the VR I am worried about... I've heard that Kaplan is bad prep for verbal and the scores are a bit to generous? :scared:
Anyways, Ill still take whatever FL Kaplan wants me to (up to FL5) and try to get AAMC 8 and 9 in too.

abadri421

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Kaplan exams really ruin my confidence. One day i think i know the material very well, then i take a kaplan test and i feel like i dont know that much, which is probably true anyway..yea aamc is the way to go at this point..

sekem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
lala83 said:
I took all 11 tests from Kaplan , all 7 tests from AAMC, all 5tests from TPR, 3 tests from the gold series, and 3 tests from Berkley Review, and finally took the April MCAT. (I got 13, 4, 12 and am retaking it)

If you will trust me on my comment, none of the tests are as similar as real AAMC tests to the real MCAT! Kaplan is way too harder, berkley review is unrealistic, TPR tests are easier and more similar but honestly just do 5-9 on AAMC and you will be fine.

Real MCAT is really easy just lack of enough time will kill you!

da_donut

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
sekem said:
I took all 11 tests from Kaplan , all 7 tests from AAMC, all 5tests from TPR, 3tests from the god series, and 3 tests from Berkley Review, and finally took the April MCAT. (I got 13, 4, 12 and am retaking it)

If you will trust me on my comment, none of the tests are as similar as real AAMC tests to the real MCAT! Kaplan is way too harder, berkley review is unrealistic, TPR tests are easier and more similar but honestly just do 5-9 on AAMC and you will be fine.

Real MCAT is really easy just lack of enough time will kill you!
jeez your score would have been incredible if it wasn't for verbal......i really feel for you....I hope your verbal is improving because its obvious you have the other sections down. Good luck!

About the Ads