Diverse CV for MD/PhD Students ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FactorX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my M1 year. As my school starts talking about summer opportunities for medical students, I realize that my MD classmates will have their summers available to do various activities of their choice. For example, they can spend this summer going abroad for a medical mission trip and next summer doing research or working other medically-relevant jobs. Obviously, their CV will have a diversity of activities (including research). In contrast, I will be mostly in lab doing research rotations in the summers, and hence my CV is simply research-heavy without the diversity that my MD classmates have. Does this mean MD/PhD students will be at disadvantage in building a good diverse CV for residency application and as a result become less competitive than regular MD students in the match ? Is it possible to do non-research activities during graduate school years to make up for this ?

Thank you very much for your time !

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in my M1 year. As my school starts talking about summer opportunities for medical students, I realize that my MD classmates will have their summers available to do various activities of their choice. For example, they can spend this summer going abroad for a medical mission trip and next summer doing research or working other medically-relevant jobs. Obviously, their CV will have a diversity of activities (including research). In contrast, I will be mostly in lab doing research rotations in the summers, and hence my CV is simply research-heavy without the diversity that my MD classmates have. Does this mean MD/PhD students will be at disadvantage in building a good diverse CV for residency application and as a result become less competitive than regular MD students in the match ? Is it possible to do non-research activities during graduate school years to make up for this ?

Thank you very much for your time !

Great question. I would like to know this also. Personally, throughout medical school I want to just focus on research and get as many publications as I can. Is this bad for residency, or should I invest time in other activities as well?

MD/PhD students are competing for a different group of residency positions. Typically, in research intensive institutions but not necessarily in research tracks. As a former residency director, you evaluate them with a different lens. No, there is no disadvantage at all. You have higher expectations from them.

Some top notch residencies have decided to give half of their slots to MD/PhD students and the other half to the very top MD students.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are worried about nothing. Compared to medical school, residencies care much less about extracurriculars or you as a unique snowflake. You're an MD/PhD. The programs that will want you expect you to be doing research, and you should be doing it. There is no disadvantage.

The most important thing is that you get the high step 1 score and class rank. Diversity? Forget it. Try best hoop jumper and least likely to piss anyone off or fail an exam. Welcome to residency :thumbup:

MD/PhD students are competing for a different group of residency positions. Typically, in research intensive institutions but not necessarily in research tracks. As a former residency director, you evaluate them with a different lens. No, there is no disadvantage at all. You have higher expectations from them.

Some top notch residencies have decided to give half of their slots to MD/PhD students and the other half to the very top MD students.

You are worried about nothing. Compared to medical school, residencies care much less about extracurriculars or you as a unique snowflake. You're an MD/PhD. The programs that will want you expect you to be doing research, and you should be doing it. There is no disadvantage.

The most important thing is that you get the high step 1 score and class rank. Diversity? Forget it. Try best hoop jumper and least likely to piss anyone off or fail an exam. Welcome to residency :thumbup:

Thank you Fencer and Neuronix for you posts. I just have one more question. In regard to class rank, are you referring to ranking in 3rd and 4th years ? Do residency programs care about ranking in 1st and 2nd years at all ? My school has Honor, Pass, Fail grading. I'm just wondering if getting Honor or Pass matters at all for residency application.

Class rank and senior AOA are what really matters. Each school factors in their 1st and 2nd year grades differently in this regard. Nobody has the time or interest to read through all your individual grades, but if you fail and have to repeat things, some people might notice.

Class rank and senior AOA are what really matters. Each school factors in their 1st and 2nd year grades differently in this regard. Nobody has the time or interest to read through all your individual grades, but if you fail and have to repeat things, some people might notice.

Thank you Neuronix !