Diversify

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m3unsure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people in anesthesia ever picked up other careers related to medicine, but out of the OR.

Or even during their residency because 1.) stopped wanting to be a resident or 2.) wanted to get involved in something a little different?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if people in anesthesia ever ...

I imagine this has happened at some time.

A little more details might elicit more helpful responses, like "can I be a hospital adminstrator and a practicing anesthesiologist at the same time. How would I do that"

or

" I find OR anesthesia unsatisfying because of _________. How might I alter my career to get more ________."

etc.

not sure what you're asking, but,
i would first start the residency before thinking of ways to do other things.

anesthesiology is not different from other specialties with regard to diversifying your activities.

the vast majority of anesthesiologists work in the OR.
rest are in pain clinics and icus.

a part of your time may be spent as a clinical coordinator - making sure the ORs run smoothly (at large institutions).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not looking at anything specific, but with all the concern for anesthesia suffering in the future, I would like to know what other people are doing outside of the OR.

Not looking for more dough if that is what you're implying with your last blank. Post malpractice 150K working 40 hrs per week is fine by me. I don't need to be a work hog and ruin the rest of my life for 300K/yr. And why make more when more than likely Obama is going to redistribute cash anyway?

I'd like to just know what others have done so I might pursue other means as well to secure my future and at the same time get to do different things. I by no means want to leave medicine unless someone tries to sue the beegeez out of me. But I assume healthcare will be completely different by then.

Psst... I run an "under the table" handyman service. Nothin' too big, all cash and put the money in a jar at the house. Make about $4-5Gs/month tax free. Micky mouse stuff like subpanels, switches, water softeners, tree cuttin', window installation, shower pans with proper preslopes, painting, toilet installs. I charge professional service rates. To start the job, I need 50% upfront and 50% upon completion. All handshakes--no contracts. Regards, ---Zippy

I model on the side. Good money, nice locations, fringe benefits if you know what I mean.