Diversity & Challenge/Resilience Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sotano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I know there have been a lot of posts about these topics recently, but I'm really struggling to come up with some good ideas, and I really need to start writing. Here is what I've got so far.

Diversity
1. Conventional -> ORM minority, and I'm very active in the community, also have done some interesting things back in my home country like live with a host family for a short period and observe in free clinics and hospitals

2. Unconventional -> Played chess competitively growing up and still play a lot online, but not sure how I'd twist this to say I am adding to the diversity of the class.

Other options
3. engineering undergrad and work as an engineer now. Specifically work with imaging devices in clinical research
4. Music -> played piano and cello growing up, don't play either too much anymore but I do write music and make some electronic music as a hobby

Challenge
1. All of my grandparents passed away in the fall of my senior of high school just when I was applying to undergrad
2. I mentored an inner city student that was very difficult to deal with and while I did make some progress, I was not entirely successful.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you could spin the chess one to say how you have great problem solving skills or something like that

Hey guys I know there have been a lot of posts about these topics recently, but I'm really struggling to come up with some good ideas, and I really need to start writing. Here is what I've got so far.

Diversity
1. Conventional -> ORM minority, and I'm very active in the community, also have done some interesting things back in my home country like live with a host family for a short period and observe in free clinics and hospitals

2. Unconventional -> Played chess competitively growing up and still play a lot online, but not sure how I'd twist this to say I am adding to the diversity of the class.

Other options
3. engineering undergrad and work as an engineer now. Specifically work with imaging devices in clinical research
4. Music -> played piano and cello growing up, don't play either too much anymore but I do write music and make some electronic music as a hobby

Challenge
1. All of my grandparents passed away in the fall of my senior of high school just when I was applying to undergrad
2. I mentored an inner city student that was very difficult to deal with and while I did make some progress, I was not entirely successful.

Thanks in advance

What's your Elo?

What's your Elo?

Elo peaked at 1800 in like 5th or 6th grade, and plateaued after that as I just didn't have the time to really improve.

Any other opinions? For the diversity essay I'm curious how people go about connecting an unusual skill or hobby to increasing diversity? Is it necessary to have a clinical connection? I also taught chess when I was in high school at a local elementary after school program. Could talk about that also.
Also for the challenge essay is it ok if the challenge is to help someone else? I can't really think of any personal challenges.

Reactions: 1 user