Diversity Essay Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbio2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m having a bit of trouble with my diversity essay and wondering if I’m going down the right path.

I’m an AA male who grew up in a largely white, middle-class, rural community. I also had friends in the nearby “city” which was more AA. This started an interested in privilege, as I went to a great school due to the community I grew up in, while my friends went to one just 20 min away that wasn’t nearly on par.

That interest evolved as I considered intersectionality, which I frequently discussed with friends on my radio show, and eventually I wrote a fantasy book that explored privilege through magic (yes, I’m a giant nerd). So I planned to write about that, and how I wanted to use creative writing as a vehicle that will allow my classmates and I to share our various stories. To that end I’d want to create a writing club or seminar. Would that work for diversity?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lolz.

GOOD LUCK!

So I’m guessing it’s a dumb idea lol?
Should I just stick with creative writing? That’s about the only unique hobby I can think of that isn’t cookie cutter.

Your first idea works but it’s all in the execution.

Reactions: 1 user
Your first idea works but it’s all in the execution.

Gotcha. That may be the tough part which was what worrieD me. Just happening to live in a well-funded school district while my friends had a piss poor education in a poorly funded one down the road did ignite my passion for the topic. But I just don’t want to come off as SJWery lol.

There’s nothing wrong with that but just be careful what attitude you embed into your essays because that’s what the interviewers will expect of you.

Reactions: 1 users
Writing a book, having a radio show and being non-white in America are all experiences that give you a unique perspective. I think trying to talk about all of it in a single essay may be an over-reach because you are likely spend more words describing the situation than you do describing your insights. I would chose one of the above to focus on.

Writing a book and having a radio show is an accomplishment that makes you unique.

Reactions: 3 users
Writing a book, having a radio show and being non-white in America are all experiences that give you a unique perspective. I think trying to talk about all of it in a single essay may be an over-reach because you are likely spend more words describing the situation than you do describing your insights. I would chose one of the above to focus on.
Tell me how "being non-white" gives someone a unique perspective, as to say a person of color is not part of mainstream USA...Totally ridiculous and statements like this perpetuate that people of color should somehow be treated different....Its insulting to all people of color!

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Tell me how "being non-white" gives someone a unique perspective, as to say a person of color is not part of mainstream USA...Totally ridiculous and statements like this perpetuate that people of color should somehow be treated different....Its insulting to all people of color!

Nowhere did that user say that POC are not part of "mainstream USA" - you're interpreting this in the wrong way and blowing it out of proportion. It's no secret that minorities in the USA experience challenges and have unique perspectives on different things due to factors like cultural influence.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Nowhere did that user say that POC are not part of "mainstream USA" - you're interpreting this in the wrong way and blowing it out of proportion. It's no secret that minorities in the USA experience challenges and have unique perspectives on different things due to factors like cultural influence.
Please don't tell me that I'm blowing it out of proportion, because I did not. Don't tell me how to interpret anything and enough with only minoroties experiencing challenges, everyone does.......

• Dislike
Please tell me how my response was inappropriate, Goro.....

You're going loose cannon. Not good for someone already on probation.
I will not waste my time and respond anymore to you or anyone else that has a problem with the truth, or who wants to say something is inappropriate because they do not agree...SMH

I will not waste my time and respond anymore to you or anyone else that has a problem with the truth, or who wants to say something is inappropriate because they do not agree...SMH
I rest my case. That sound you hear off int he background is the Banhammer being cocked.

• Haha