Diversity Essay help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkko09

Reaction score
So I have been running between a couple topics I could possibly talk about but I'm worried that they all might be way too common to set me apart from other applicants. Any advice would be helpful!

1.) Played piano since 2006 (for national and international audiences)- talk about the emotions evoked in music and its similarity to medicine; mention how it has helped me bring people together and lift spirits at the hospital; taught me that not everything is black and white/absolute, etc. *** Biggest negative is that piano is already listed in my W/A and is one of my MMEs where a similar theme was developed.

2.) Traveling to more than 25 different countries across the world and experienced the differences and similarities between cultures. Will tie it in with my passion in photography and (while it sounds cliche) how these two interests helped me see the world through different lenses. Can also mention my medical mission trip to a 3rd world country and how that interaction made me realize the value of even basic medicine in improving the quality of life for the people + culture of medicine in a different country *** Not mentioned in W/A but my LOR writers have mentioned the traveling and my appreciation of cultures. Something else I am worried about is that I am qualified for FAP and adcom might look down on the fact that I travel given my economic status even though each country I traveled to was via personal savings and scholarship money.

3.) Taking care of the family business following my father's heart attack and developing the theme of learning the insides and out of business i.e. talking to clients, communicating with the supplier. How running a business is different from the analytical perspective from the sciences and requires a more application based mental set. Relate this to medicine and med schools as I will be able to better communicate with my peers and understand the nuances within interpersonal skills. *** Feels weak and could be better adapted to the adversity essay with the role of responsibility.

Feel free to tear me a new one and thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would write about 2 or 3. I would emphasize how they give you different appreciations of different types of details and whatnot. Not everything has to be "This will better help me relate to classmates and patients" I have to think an appreciation to details because of photography will give you a skillset not everyone has.

Reactions: 1 user
I would write about 2 or 3. I would emphasize how they give you different appreciations of different types of details and whatnot. Not everything has to be "This will better help me relate to classmates and patients" I have to think an appreciation to details because of photography will give you a skillset not everyone has.

Got it, thank you so much for the quick reply! For choice 2, would you suggest picking traveling OR photography, or write about both since they are inter-related? I know you mentioned photography specifically in your post in regards to attention to detail, but that is something that can be tied to my differing experiences with various cultures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it, thank you so much for the quick reply! For choice 2, would you suggest picking traveling OR photography, or write about both since they are inter-related? I know you mentioned photography specifically in your post in regards to attention to detail, but that is something that can be tied to my differing experiences with various cultures.
I wonder if emphasizing photography would be better. The other cultures topic is pretty overdone from what I hear. I'm pretty into photography and videography myself and I've actually had it come in handy with research - I was able to figure out the conversion of RGB to CMYK for image analysis because I had some understanding of it from my hobbies. I think there is a lot that could be talked about with how different appreciations of different kinds of details can make you well-rounded.

I wonder if emphasizing photography would be better. The other cultures topic is pretty overdone from what I hear. I'm pretty into photography and videography myself and I've actually had it come in handy with research - I was able to figure out the conversion of RGB to CMYK for image analysis because I had some understanding of it from my hobbies. I think there is a lot that could be talked about with how different appreciations of different kinds of details can make you well-rounded.

Oh ok, I see where you are coming from. I really like the idea of making attention to detail the theme of the essay. Also I had a similar situation pop up in research, so there are multiple areas I can grab inspiration from. Thank you for all your help!

I wouldn't write about travel; it's too common. I like #1 better, although it is not unusual. #3 is good, but might be better used for another secondary.

Wow thank you all for the differing opinions! @Goro would you still recommend I write about music/piano in my secondary even though I extensively elaborated on it in my W/A as a MME. While I can attempt to tackle it from a different perspective, I am afraid that if they go from my primary to my secondary, there will not be as much "new content" added to the app. Playing devil's advocate, if adcom doesn't read my primary prior to my secondaries, then of course talking about music again will ensure the point is made. For reference, photography/traveling is not mentioned anywhere in my application. Do you think that I should go back to the drawing board and try to think of other aspects of my life that make me diverse?

Wow thank you all for the differing opinions! @Goro would you still recommend I write about music/piano in my secondary even though I extensively elaborated on it in my W/A as a MME. While I can attempt to tackle it from a different perspective, I am afraid that if they go from my primary to my secondary, there will not be as much "new content" added to the app. Playing devil's advocate, if adcom doesn't read my primary prior to my secondaries, then of course talking about music again will ensure the point is made. For reference, photography/traveling is not mentioned anywhere in my application. Do you think that I should go back to the drawing board and try to think of other aspects of my life that make me diverse?
The MME is a different prompt from diversity. It's OK to be redundant is this case.