Quantcast

diversity essay topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysankofa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Do you think it's too controversial to talk about religion for the diversity topic? I want to discuss how I come from a minority faith and experiences with that led me to major in religious studies and do interfaith workshops, prayer groups, and volunteering with spiritual care at a hospital. I thought it would nice to talk about how these experiences have helped me gain insight into the patients I've served and how it's broadened my perspective.

I asked a few people and they said to stay away from topics like this as you don't know how adcoms will interpret it...what do you think? Otherwise I can talk about my upbringing or an interesting hobby that I have. Thank you!

Last edited:

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it's too controversial to talk about religion for the diversity topic? I want to discuss how I come from a minority faith and experiences with that led me to major in religious studies and do interfaith workshops, prayer groups, and volunteering with spiritual care at a hospital. I thought it would nice to talk about how these experiences have helped me gain insight into the patients I've served and how it's broadened my perspective.

I asked a few people and they said to stay away from topics like this as you don't know how adcoms will interpret it...what do you think? Otherwise I can talk about my upbringing or an interesting hobby that I have. Thank you!

Its appropriate and has direct meaning to your choice in medicine. As long as you arent seen as as proselyting or come off "Holier than Thou" you will be find. You have faith in your faith so now have faith in yourself to write this up in a meaningful way

Reactions: 1 users

mysankofa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its appropriate and has direct meaning to your choice in medicine. As long as you arent seen as as proselyting or come off "Holier than Thou" you will be find. You have faith in your faith so now have faith in yourself to write this up in a meaningful way

Great, thank you! Right, I don't plan on spending too much time on the faith itself. More on my experiences and why interfaith/intercultural understanding is important to me