• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Diversity Essay Topic

D

deleted987908

I was struggling to identify whether my topic was good enough to answer the diversity question. I'm pretty introverted, but once I got to college I was able to open up more and join myself in more opportunities, which is how I've come to be Pres and VP of a couple of organizations. I was going to talk about my transition to becoming outspoken and how I used my experience with my struggle to help others by peer mentoring underclassmen who were nervous about starting college. I understood what made it hard for some people to speak up as I went through that myself, so I am aware of how to better deal with patients who might have the same fear of speaking up. Also as I volunteered in a children's hospital, I was able to build trust so the patients felt comfortable speaking with me.

My other option is that I am bilingual. However, I already talked about a huge experience I had where I helped a patient who was fluent in the same language as me in my PS so I would not repeat that specific time. I also have an interest in languages so I was able to pick up on a language a few years ago by watching movies/shows. I'm working on learning another now. I could tie that into how it would be helpful for patients that aren't fluent in English.

HouseJC

If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2019
New Orleans
  1. Medical Student
I say the first one, but only because your plan B is already written in the PS. If you do choose Plan B, be sure to shine the experience using a new light. That's what I think is important for secondaries. It has to relate with your primary, but not overlap, so it can give the Adcoms more (new, but related) information about you.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I was struggling to identify whether my topic was good enough to answer the diversity question. I'm pretty introverted, but once I got to college I was able to open up more and join myself in more opportunities, which is how I've come to be Pres and VP of a couple of organizations. I was going to talk about my transition to becoming outspoken and how I used my experience with my struggle to help others by peer mentoring underclassmen who were nervous about starting college. I understood what made it hard for some people to speak up as I went through that myself, so I am aware of how to better deal with patients who might have the same fear of speaking up. Also as I volunteered in a children's hospital, I was able to build trust so the patients felt comfortable speaking with me.

My other option is that I am bilingual. However, I already talked about a huge experience I had where I helped a patient who was fluent in the same language as me in my PS so I would not repeat that specific time. I also have an interest in languages so I was able to pick up on a language a few years ago by watching movies/shows. I'm working on learning another now. I could tie that into how it would be helpful for patients that aren't fluent in English.
First one doesn't' do anything for me; being bilingual is pretty common, especially among medical students. You can do better.

Reactions: 1 user
D

deleted987908

English was not my first language, and mixed in with my shy personality it took me a while to make friends when I was younger. But through high school/college I was able to come out of my shell - would that be a better fit for adversity? Or would you suggest against using anything about introvertedness in the application?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.