Diversity Essay Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted987908

I was struggling to identify whether my topic was good enough to answer the diversity question. I'm pretty introverted, but once I got to college I was able to open up more and join myself in more opportunities, which is how I've come to be Pres and VP of a couple of organizations. I was going to talk about my transition to becoming outspoken and how I used my experience with my struggle to help others by peer mentoring underclassmen who were nervous about starting college. I understood what made it hard for some people to speak up as I went through that myself, so I am aware of how to better deal with patients who might have the same fear of speaking up. Also as I volunteered in a children's hospital, I was able to build trust so the patients felt comfortable speaking with me.

My other option is that I am bilingual. However, I already talked about a huge experience I had where I helped a patient who was fluent in the same language as me in my PS so I would not repeat that specific time. I also have an interest in languages so I was able to pick up on a language a few years ago by watching movies/shows. I'm working on learning another now. I could tie that into how it would be helpful for patients that aren't fluent in English.

Members don't see this ad.

I say the first one, but only because your plan B is already written in the PS. If you do choose Plan B, be sure to shine the experience using a new light. That's what I think is important for secondaries. It has to relate with your primary, but not overlap, so it can give the Adcoms more (new, but related) information about you.

Reactions: 1 user
I was struggling to identify whether my topic was good enough to answer the diversity question. I'm pretty introverted, but once I got to college I was able to open up more and join myself in more opportunities, which is how I've come to be Pres and VP of a couple of organizations. I was going to talk about my transition to becoming outspoken and how I used my experience with my struggle to help others by peer mentoring underclassmen who were nervous about starting college. I understood what made it hard for some people to speak up as I went through that myself, so I am aware of how to better deal with patients who might have the same fear of speaking up. Also as I volunteered in a children's hospital, I was able to build trust so the patients felt comfortable speaking with me.

My other option is that I am bilingual. However, I already talked about a huge experience I had where I helped a patient who was fluent in the same language as me in my PS so I would not repeat that specific time. I also have an interest in languages so I was able to pick up on a language a few years ago by watching movies/shows. I'm working on learning another now. I could tie that into how it would be helpful for patients that aren't fluent in English.
First one doesn't' do anything for me; being bilingual is pretty common, especially among medical students. You can do better.

Reactions: 1 user
English was not my first language, and mixed in with my shy personality it took me a while to make friends when I was younger. But through high school/college I was able to come out of my shell - would that be a better fit for adversity? Or would you suggest against using anything about introvertedness in the application?