I wanted to get some input on a possible diversity essay topic that I could write about. I am a straight male ORM that just graduated with a biomedical engineering degree so I am not that demographically diverse. Instead, I want to talk about something interesting about me:
1. I was born in the US and my parents immigrated from China, but English was not my first language. My grandparents did a lot of raising while my parents worked a lot to provide for my family. As a result, Chinese was my first language and I have an interesting perspective going through early schooling while learning English. I sought to "fit in" better and played football, lacrosse, and wrestling in middle and high school and did Model UN to improve my speaking. I had a hard time reconciling my traditional culture with my "American" life. My English now is perfectly normal, and you would have a hard time believing that I'm a nonnative English speaker if you met me today. Some times that "early wiring" still causes me to stumble over my words when I talk but serve as a reminder of how far I have come.
I'm kind of hesitant to write about this because being an ORM Asian minority isn't particularly special, however, I want to put more focus on the language aspect of my early life. Any thoughts or possible tweaks to this idea?